Cold War Rearmed – Talk

From Bohemia Interactive Community
Jump to navigation Jump to search
mNo edit summary
Line 17: Line 17:

I just wanted to add another good SVN client is [http://rapidsvn.tigris.org/ RapidSVN].  It's not as robust as Tortoise, but still is highly configurable and works on Linux and Windows.  [[User:Pennywise|Pennywise]] 21:21, 7 December 2006 (CET)
I just wanted to add another good SVN client is [http://rapidsvn.tigris.org/ RapidSVN].  It's not as robust as Tortoise, but still is highly configurable and works on Linux and Windows.  [[User:Pennywise|Pennywise]] 21:21, 7 December 2006 (CET)
Subversion usage requires very strict and disciplined usage, otherwise it spirals out of control when you're working with a project such as this with primarily binary data. Additionally, as both working copy and base repositories are stored locally, your client-side storage requirements will be approximately double that of the actual unpacked content. If you use the BIS tools as presently constituted, plan on a total client-side minimum storage requirement of approximately five times the raw data size.
If you use SSH tunneling, the authorization controls are fundamentally different, and care should be particularly taken to ensure proper access controls and hook script functionality. Regardless of the access method implemented, upload bandwidth requirements are significant, especially with multiple concurrent users. It's strongly recommended that you provide weekly diff'ed snapshot extracts on a high-capacity FTP server for users not requiring constant updates of all content. You can also build a daily-synced read-only mirror to handle alternate content (such as maps data for users focusing on vehicles.)
Processed data should not be commited to subversion, only the raw source data (ie tga masters, not paa's). There's an arguement for commiting the true master psd's, however for all practical purposes those should be seperately managed, and only the functional masters commited. The processed data can then be generated dynamicly by the individual developers, and also by the designated distribution packers. [[User:Shinraiden|Shinraiden]] 13:10, 8 December 2006 (CET)

===Bug Tracking===
===Bug Tracking===
Line 27: Line 33:
[http://trac.edgewall.org/ Trac] is the new king. [http://www.hosted-projects.com/trac/TracDemo/Demo Live Demo here]. --[[User:WGL.Q|WGL.Q]] 20:05, 7 December 2006 (CET)
[http://trac.edgewall.org/ Trac] is the new king. [http://www.hosted-projects.com/trac/TracDemo/Demo Live Demo here]. --[[User:WGL.Q|WGL.Q]] 20:05, 7 December 2006 (CET)
:Looks interesting! Any experience with it yet (installation, reliability, etc.)? ([http://www.hosted-projects.com/trac/TracDemo/Demo/report This] is probably a better link for the demo. When I first went to the demo I thought the whole thing was just another Wiki-abuse, without any structuring whatsoever, until I finally found the actual tickets...) --[[User:Kronzky|Kronzky]] 21:00, 7 December 2006 (CET)
:Looks interesting! Any experience with it yet (installation, reliability, etc.)? ([http://www.hosted-projects.com/trac/TracDemo/Demo/report This] is probably a better link for the demo. When I first went to the demo I thought the whole thing was just another Wiki-abuse, without any structuring whatsoever, until I finally found the actual tickets...) --[[User:Kronzky|Kronzky]] 21:00, 7 December 2006 (CET)
Don't bother with bugzilla for this project, it's a 900lb gorilla that requires a significant amount of management to be functional. Trac and Mantis offer varying degrees of subversion integration, however the functionality I think for that is somewhat limited given the primarily binary content nature of this project. [[User:Shinraiden|Shinraiden]] 13:10, 8 December 2006 (CET)

== Call To Arms ==
== Call To Arms ==
Line 83: Line 91:
* [[User:Mikero|Mikero]] (tools, decoders/encoders. Technical Author)
* [[User:Mikero|Mikero]] (tools, decoders/encoders. Technical Author)
* [[User:maatz|maatz]] (Island Editing, Object Modelling, mostly civilian stuff, Texturing)
* [[User:maatz|maatz]] (Island Editing, Object Modelling, mostly civilian stuff, Texturing)
* [[User:Shinraiden|Shinraiden]] (Limited development advisory)

== Communicaton Channel ==
== Communicaton Channel ==
Line 95: Line 104:

:I agree completely. Rather than hide, share the knowledge --[[User:WGL.Q|WGL.Q]] 07:54, 8 December 2006 (CET)
:I agree completely. Rather than hide, share the knowledge --[[User:WGL.Q|WGL.Q]] 07:54, 8 December 2006 (CET)
:: There should be some form of hidden decision board though, in order to effectively make the decisions required to make this project a success, without the nonsense meddling and uninformed and juvenile harassment that would inevitablely ensue. [[User:Shinraiden|Shinraiden]] 13:10, 8 December 2006 (CET)

Revision as of 14:10, 8 December 2006

Management Software

I would assume BIS already has all the appropriate software, and would prefer to use it for this project as well?

If not, here are the discussions regarding possible solutions:--Kronzky 21:44, 6 December 2006 (CET)

The software we have requires per-user licensing, and therefore is not suitable for an open project like this. --Suma 12:36, 7 December 2006 (CET)

Project Repository

The project repository will be on a central server e.g.CVS.

I strongly suggest to use subversion instead. TortoiseSVN is a great windows based GUI client. --WGL.Q 18:44, 1 December 2006 (CET)

I agree on Subversion. It would also allow for easy MS reporting services implementation to keep track of stats and work for the project managers --SniperAndy

Subversion handles binary files without any special work, while same cannot always be said about CVS. Also having changesets instead of CVS way of individual file revisions and tagged builds is more suitable for project like this. Feersum 13:51, 7 December 2006 (CET)

I just wanted to add another good SVN client is RapidSVN. It's not as robust as Tortoise, but still is highly configurable and works on Linux and Windows. Pennywise 21:21, 7 December 2006 (CET)

Subversion usage requires very strict and disciplined usage, otherwise it spirals out of control when you're working with a project such as this with primarily binary data. Additionally, as both working copy and base repositories are stored locally, your client-side storage requirements will be approximately double that of the actual unpacked content. If you use the BIS tools as presently constituted, plan on a total client-side minimum storage requirement of approximately five times the raw data size.

If you use SSH tunneling, the authorization controls are fundamentally different, and care should be particularly taken to ensure proper access controls and hook script functionality. Regardless of the access method implemented, upload bandwidth requirements are significant, especially with multiple concurrent users. It's strongly recommended that you provide weekly diff'ed snapshot extracts on a high-capacity FTP server for users not requiring constant updates of all content. You can also build a daily-synced read-only mirror to handle alternate content (such as maps data for users focusing on vehicles.)

Processed data should not be commited to subversion, only the raw source data (ie tga masters, not paa's). There's an arguement for commiting the true master psd's, however for all practical purposes those should be seperately managed, and only the functional masters commited. The processed data can then be generated dynamicly by the individual developers, and also by the designated distribution packers. Shinraiden 13:10, 8 December 2006 (CET)

Bug Tracking

Despite the Wiki being used (abused?) for bug reporting right now, it would probably be preferable to use some dedicated bug-tracking software. I've had some pretty good experiences with the open-source Mantis. It's powerful enough to handle most tasks, but not so complex as to scare off non-programmers. --Kronzky 21:44, 6 December 2006 (CET)

Bugzilla might be suitable as well. --Kamran 19:38, 7 December 2006 (CET)

Have you ever seen a "normal" user (untrained, non-computer expert) use Bugzilla? Not a pretty sight... They're just TOTALLY overwhelmed, and will more likely than not just not bother report a bug. Good idea though if you want to keep the bug reports down... ;) --Kronzky 21:00, 7 December 2006 (CET)

Trac is the new king. Live Demo here. --WGL.Q 20:05, 7 December 2006 (CET)

Looks interesting! Any experience with it yet (installation, reliability, etc.)? (This is probably a better link for the demo. When I first went to the demo I thought the whole thing was just another Wiki-abuse, without any structuring whatsoever, until I finally found the actual tickets...) --Kronzky 21:00, 7 December 2006 (CET)

Don't bother with bugzilla for this project, it's a 900lb gorilla that requires a significant amount of management to be functional. Trac and Mantis offer varying degrees of subversion integration, however the functionality I think for that is somewhat limited given the primarily binary content nature of this project. Shinraiden 13:10, 8 December 2006 (CET)

Call To Arms

I guess this discussion page might serve to gather the people who would like to be involved and how. If anyone feels like participating, write your area of interest/expertise here. Currently most needed are people for the Preparation phase (some experience with CVS or Subversion needed to start the repository).--Suma 11:26, 6 December 2006 (CET)

-I could assist in doing the CVS, Subversion. Would have to read up on it again but shouldn't take up to much time. --SniperAndy

-I've setup several SVN repositories. It's really quite simple. You can install it via cygwin, which is what I usually do. Otherwise, CollabNet offers a windows install. You can also install from tigris manually, but I recommend the Cygwin or Collabnet versions. Pennywise 22:43, 7 December 2006 (CET)

-I am pretty experienced in modelling , unwrap ,normal(bump)maps and specularmaps. If you need a hand , let me know. Metalchris

Add yourself to the Coalition of the willing below. ;) --Sniperwolf572 15:38, 7 December 2006 (CET)

Coalition of the willing

All people who sign up here show that they are willing to contribute work. The CWR team will sooner or later contact them to get more detailed information about their capabilities and on that basis CWR will decide if he/she(/it) can join the team. If your Wiki name is different then your forum name then please specify this in your user page so that you can be contacted.

A LEGITIMATE COPY OF ARMED ASSAULT IS REQUIRED

Intially we'll only need a handfull of people, so if your not contacted right away then don't give up hope. We may not yet be at the stage requiring your respective skillsets.

• Ramboofp (2D 3D art Coding/Scripting)
  • raedor (Coding/Scripting; SVN experience)
  • SniperAndy (SVN and SQL, testing, forum support, project assistance)
  • Jahve (Config (cpp), general addon import work)
  • The_Shadow (Map editing)
  • ebud (Map editing, Addons)
  • Kamran (Campaign and Missions conversion, Sounds/Music/Voices/Speech conversion)
  • Sniperwolf572 (Mission/Campaign editing, Addons if there is need for more manpower in that department)
  • Hoz (Moderator & Missions)
  • Planck (Moderator, Model Editing & Islands work)
  • Kronzky (Scripting, Bug Tracking, Web-programming)
  • Tonner (Map editing)
  • Spoock (Map editing, betatester & moderator or web editor)
  • Jakerod (Island/Map Editing & Mission Editing. It depends on when I get my copy of ArmA I guess.)
  • Apollo (AKA johnwilso007 Mission Editing, Bits Of Addon work but not to advanced stuff.)
  • MachoMan (SQF/SQS Scripting, cpp editing, Moderating (Hey if Planck & Hoz can ... ;) ), Programming; SVN Experience)
  • Sniper Skull (All around 3D&2D work)
  • xNodUnitx (Modelling ,detailing,research and mild-medium texturing)
  • Feersum, (scripting, config.cpp, mod tool writing, CVS/SVN, basic 2D/3D work)
  • My_Shortcoming (Ingame and OutOfGame Bug testing, Text Checking etc, Worked On Translation Mod and helped bug test 6thsense mods.)
  • Zorbtek (Promotional movie trailers/screenshots, mission editing/converting, mission bug fixes, minor addon work/config.cpp work, extra features)
  • Hellfish6 (Missions, config, devil's advocate)
  • Ironsight (2D/3D work, WRP editing, project management)
  • Metalchris (3D Work ,advanced texture effects such as normalmaps and specularmaps / And well , I could help translate the game into proper german military language)
  • Redkid (Mission conversion, possible animations)
  • Hudson (3d editing in oxygen, config editing, minor scripting, mission porting/editing) I have experience with tortoiseSVN, we use it for addon/mission creation. I can also provide a dedicated server to do any multiplayer testing needed.
  • Pennywise scripting sqf/sqs, config editing, mission editing, we use SVN for mod source control, also experience with Clearcase and CVS. Wrote scritps for F18, includeing CBU cluster bombs. Pennywise 16:51, 7 December 2006 (CET)
  • Jackal326 (Model editing, config.cpp work, promotional screenshots)
  • Jacek (All around 3D&2D work)
  • Grenadier (aka m16a2m203 - Island Conversion)
  • Indy (3D Modelling, unwrapping, config editing, basic/medium 2D work)
  • EddyBoy (Mission conversion, Moderator, Bug Hunting, Some script editing)
  • jerryhopper ( Moderator, Mission conversion/scripting, SoundFX/Audio remastering, Press/Public Relations , BetaTesting )
  • Llauma (2D/3D work, music/soundtrack composing + some sound design)
  • Mikero (tools, decoders/encoders. Technical Author)
  • maatz (Island Editing, Object Modelling, mostly civilian stuff, Texturing)
  • Shinraiden (Limited development advisory)

Communicaton Channel

Following communication channels which I think could serve well:

1. dedicated private forum on the BI forums - Created.
  2. wiki talk pages (I guess a separate wiki would be needed for this, perhaps with access restricted to people accepted as participants of the project)
  3. any combination of above --Suma 11:37, 6 December 2006 (CET)

Would it be possible if private forum or something could be made read only to non CWR team or the ones waiting to be called up? Point of this being able to observe progress of the project, and maybe learn something about ArmA modding while observing. This would be also useful to anyone who joins the project later on, as one wouldn't need to catch-up with the rest of the team. --Sniperwolf572 22:26, 7 December 2006 (CET)

I agree completely. Rather than hide, share the knowledge --WGL.Q 07:54, 8 December 2006 (CET)
There should be some form of hidden decision board though, in order to effectively make the decisions required to make this project a success, without the nonsense meddling and uninformed and juvenile harassment that would inevitablely ensue. Shinraiden 13:10, 8 December 2006 (CET)