Server configuration – ArmA: Armed Assault

From Bohemia Interactive Community
Revision as of 02:50, 29 December 2007 by protegimus (talk | contribs) (→‎Windows)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Introduction

Setting up a server is not easy and is not that abious to to.

Basically, the server configuration consists of four elements:

Example Setups

Windows

Let's assume that ArmA is installed to "D:\Arma" and the Start in: property of the Windows shortcut is set to: "D:\Arma".

• Command line / link target:
D:\ArmA\arma_server.exe -cfg=basic.cfg -config=server.cfg -profile=D:\ArmA\Users\server -name=server -mod=@mod1;@mod2

Note: the parameter

-profile=

is correct for arma_server.exe version 1.8.0.5169 and beta arma_server version 1.9.0.5208.

-profiles= fails to set your preferences for the server. The -profile= parameter requires the explicit path to the directory containing the "server.armaprofile" file and the default location for this is "Drive:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents\ArmA Other Profiles" you may find the required command is longer than that permissible in the Windows Shortcut Target: option. If so, simply create a batch command file to start ArmA_Server and point the Shortcut to it:- Shortcut properties (following the convention above where ArmA is installed to "D:\Arma", but this time the server profile is in the default "D:\Documents and Settings\%UserName%\My Documents\Arma" location): Target: D:\Batch\ArmA_Server.cmd Start in: "D:\ArmA"

Note the batch file name can be anything you wish, "ArmA_Server.cmd" is used in this example (the .cmd extension should be maintained). Batch file: ArmA_Server.cmd

Contents:

D:\ArmA\arma_server.exe -cfg=basic.cfg -config=server.cfg -profiles="D:\Documents and Settings\%UserName%\My Documents\ArmA" -mod=@mod1;@mod2

Tip: If you are running a public server, it is probably a good idea to enable logging using the parameter:

-netlog

This will record to a net.log file in the ArmA program directory, IP Address, Player name, mod's they are loading, net traffic and the Player ID - very useful for dealing with troublemakers.

Be aware, the logs can grow large as they are not rotated, I would suggest doing this manually when the server is shutdown, or you could automate this in your startup batch file as follows:

@if exist net.log goto rotatelog else end

:rotatelog
set str=%date%
set tme=%time%
rem echo."%str%" "%tme%"
for /f "tokens=1,2,3* delims=." %%i in ("%str%") do set str=%%k%%j%%i
for /f "tokens=1,2,3* delims=:." %%i in ("%tme%") do set tme=%%i%%j%%k
rem echo."%str%" "%tme%"
move net.log .\NetLogs\%str%_%tme%_net.log
set str=""

:end
"D:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\arma_server.exe" -cfg=arma_server.cfg -config=server.cfg -mod=beta;DBE1;@Islands;@ArmaEffects;@Fixes;@NWD_ScopeFix;@Six_Pack1 -profile="D:\Documents and Settings\ikent.TECHNICAL\My Documents\ArmA Other Profiles\public_server" -netlog -ranking=public_ranking.txt -maxmem=1024

A directory named .\ArmA\NetLogs is required. Change the delims specified for %str% to match your regional date settings, the example above uses the "." as the date separator.

--Protegimus 01:50, 29 December 2007 (CET)

Linux

Let's assume that ArmA is installed to "/usr/home/arma-server".

• Command line / link target:
/usr/home/arma-server/server -cfg=basic.cfg -config=server.cfg -name=server -mod=@mod1\;@mod2\;@mod3

NOTE: this line is only for debugging. When you want to run the server permanently, edit and use the provided script "armaserver" that comes with the linux server files.

NOTE 2: the ';' denotes a line-end in Linux. So you have to put a backslash '\' in front of it to use multiple mods. Same if you use spaces in your directories: write 'my\ files'

Links

Example Setups at sir_hC

See Also

ArmA:_Startup_Parameters

Server Basic Config file

Server Config File

Server Difficulty Settings File

Multiplayer Server Commands

ArmA Community Tools

See also: ArmA:_Version_History