Arma 3: Getting Started
- 1 Buying Arma 3
- 2 Starting with the game
- 3 Playing in Single Player
- 4 Playing in Multiplayer
- 5 Steam Workshop 101
- 6 Finding players, communities and help
Buying Arma 3
Arma 3 has some Editions and bundles to purchase. Bundles are always cheaper than purchasing products separately.
- Arma 3 (Steam page) is the base game. It comes with Arma 3 Zeus and Arma 3 Malden.
- Arma 3 Apex Edition (Steam page) has the base game, 3 DLCs and the "crown jewel", Arma 3 Apex. Note that Arma 3 Apex: Old Man comes with Apex.
- Arma 3 Contact Edition (Steam page) has the base game and “spin-off” expansion Arma 3 Contact.
- Arma 3 Ultimate Edition (Steam page) has the base game and every DLCs and expansions by Bohemia Interactive.
You may wonder if you need to buy DLCs. You do not need anything to enjoy playing Arma 3 (but the base game), but depending on which experience you are after the common recommendations change:
- For a Singleplayer experience, the base campaign, Arma 3 Laws of War and in an other style Arma 3 Contact singleplayer campaigns are considered among the best singleplayer moments. If you can afford it too, see also the Arma 3 Tac-Ops Mission Pack for a combat experience from multiple points of view.
- For a Multiplayer experience, it is recommended to at least own Arma 3 Apex to be able to play with its assets and have access to the Tanoa terrain. The cooperation campaign is good to play through too.
- Every asset such as weapons and vehicles provided by Bohemia Interactive are free to test in Arsenal (LEARN > VIRTUAL ARSENAL). If you wonder if the DLC is worth your money, it is possible to try it for free.
- You can purchase Arma 3 DLC Essentials (Steam page) to collect the entire DLC sets (except the Expansions, Arma 3 Apex and Arma 3 Contact).
Starting with the game
You bought the game, downloaded it, installed it, configured it via the launcher, started it: now what?
If you are not familiar with the Arma series, a usual recommendation is to access the main menu and select Tutorial, you can find choices such as:
- Read the Game Manual
- Head on the Game Options and change key bindings, languages and difficulty
- See Arma 3 Performance Optimisation for more information on the settings
- Read the in-game Field Manual (TUTORIAL > FIELD MANUAL)
- Watch Community Guide videos (Steam page / YouTube)
- Read and watch Dslyecxi's Tactical Guides (direct link to TTP3)
Playing in Single Player
- Play the VR Training missions to understand the principles
- Play the Showcases to apply these principles in real action
- Play the Bootcamp campaign
- Practice weapons and vehicles in the Virtual Arsenal
- Discover the available Terrains in Eden Editor
- Play the Single Player campaign "The East Wind" to learn to work in a team
- Play the other Single Player content, according to your DLC list:
Playing in Multiplayer
- If you own Arma 3 Apex, play its Multiplayer campaign "Apex Protocol" with experienced friends
- Hours of practice will help you:
- Find the kind of game you like, among the various Multiplayer game types
- Getting different experiences no training can bring (situational awareness, reflexes, specific cases)
- If possible, try to play on multiple servers with friends or an Arma 3 Unit!
Steam Workshop 101
Arma 3 does support Steam Workshop. You can find mods (a.k.a addons) that add some assets, features and experiences that don't exist in vanilla (addon-free) Arma 3, or user-made scenarios providing another game experience.
To add and install Workshop items, follow these steps:
Download and play a Scenario
- Open the Arma 3 Steam Workshop and select the Scenario tag.
- Find a scenario you like.
- Click subscribe on to subscribe to a scenario. It will automatically download when the game is started.
- Open the game and navigate to SINGLEPLAYER > SCENARIOS.
- The subscribed mission will be downloaded and found under the Steam Subscribed Content.
Download and activate a Mod
- Open the Arma 3 Steam Workshop and select the Mod tag.
- Find a mod you like.
- Click subscribe on to subscribe to a mod.
- Start Arma 3 from your Steam Library, that will open Arma 3 Launcher.
- Subscribed mods will be downloaded automatically.
- Click the MODS tab.
- Downloaded mods are automatically loaded. If you need to unload a mod, click the checkbox.
- Press PLAY to launch Arma 3 with selected mods.
Finding players, communities and help
Official communication channels
- Arma 3 Official Forums
- Arma 3 Official Discord
- Inline code channel if you are looking for players
- Inline code channel if you are looking for squads
- Inline code channel if you are looking for communities
- Inline code channel for… Single Player content advices and discussion
- Inline code channel for help in scripting, as well as Arma 3 Scripting Commands
- Inline code channel where discussions about articles on this wiki happen
- And for all your other questions, Inline code is the channel to be!
Common game modes servers
- Exile Discord
- Epoch Discord
- Antistasi Discord
- Arma RPG Life Discord
- King Of The Hill / Wasteland Discord