Arma 3: Getting Started
Buying Arma 3
- Bohemia Interactive Store page – using it will bring a bigger share of the sale to Bohemia Interactive
- Steam page
You may wonder if you need to buy DLCs. You do not need anything to enjoy playing Arma 3 (but the base game), but depending on which experience you are after the common recommendations change:
- For a Singleplayer experience, the base campaign, Arma 3 Laws of War and in an other style Arma 3 Contact singleplayer campaigns are considered among the best singleplayer moments. If you can afford it too, see also the Arma 3 Tac-Ops Mission Pack for a combat experience from multiple points of view.
- For a Multiplayer experience, it is recommended to at least own Arma 3 Apex to be able to play with its assets and have access to the Tanoa terrain. The cooperation campaign is good to play through too.
Starting with the game
You bought the game, downloaded it, installed it, configured it via the launcher, started it: now what?
If you are not familiar with the Arma series, a usual recommendation is to access the main menu and select Tutorial, you can find choices such as:
- Read the Game Manual
- Read / configure your keys in the Game Options
- Read the in-game Field Manual (from Tutorial → Field Manual)
- Watch Community Guide videos (Steam / YouTube)
- Read dslyecxi's Arma 3 Tactical Guide
Playing in Single Player
- Play the VR Training missions to understand the principles
- Play the Showcases to apply these principles in real action
- Play the Bootcamp campaign
- Practice weapons and vehicles in the Virtual Arsenal
- Play the Single Player campaign "The East Wind" to learn to work in a team
- Play the other Single Player content, according to your DLC list:
Playing in Multiplayer
- If you own Arma 3 Apex, play its Multiplayer campaign "Apex Protocol" with experienced friends
- Hours of practice will help you:
- Find the kind of game you like, among the various Multiplayer game types
- Getting different experiences no training can bring (situational awareness, reflexes, specific cases)
- If possible, try to play on multiple servers with friends or an Arma 3 Unit!
Finding players, communities and help
Official communication channels
- Arma 3 Official Forum
- Arma 3 Official Discord
- Inline code channel if you are looking for players
- Inline code channel if you are looking for squads
- Inline code channel if you are looking for communities
- Inline code channel for… Single Player content advices and discussion
- Inline code channel for help in scripting, as well as Arma 3 Scripting Commands
- Inline code channel where discussions about articles on this wiki happen
- And for all your other questions, Inline code is the channel to be!