Arma 3: Getting Started
- 1 Buying Arma 3
- 2 Starting with the game
- 3 Playing in Single Player
- 4 Playing in Multiplayer
- 5 Steam Workshop 101
- 6 Finding players, communities and help
Buying Arma 3
Arma 3 has some Editions and bundles to purchase. Bundles are always rather cheaper than purchase products separately.
- Arma 3 Apex Edition (Steam page) has the base game, 3 DLCs and the "crown jewel", Arma 3 Apex. This is slightly cheaper than buying Arma 3 and Arma 3 Apex separately.
- Arma 3 Contact Edition (Steam page) has the base game and “spin-off” expansion Arma 3 Contact.
- Arma 3 Ultimate Edition (Steam page) has the base game and every DLCs and expansions by Bohemia Interactive.
You may wonder if you need to buy DLCs. You do not need anything to enjoy playing Arma 3 (but the base game), but depending on which experience you are after the common recommendations change:
- For a Singleplayer experience, the base campaign, Arma 3 Laws of War and in an other style Arma 3 Contact singleplayer campaigns are considered among the best singleplayer moments. If you can afford it too, see also the Arma 3 Tac-Ops Mission Pack for a combat experience from multiple points of view.
- For a Multiplayer experience, it is recommended to at least own Arma 3 Apex to be able to play with its assets and have access to the Tanoa terrain. The cooperation campaign is good to play through too.
- Every asset such as weapons and vehicles provided by Bohemia Interactive are free to test in Arsenal (LEARN > VIRTUAL ARSENAL). If you wonder if the DLC is worth your money, it is possible to try it for free.
- You can purchase Arma 3 DLC Essentials (Steam) to collect the entire DLC sets (except the Expansions, Arma 3 Apex and Arma 3 Contact).
Starting with the game
You bought the game, downloaded it, installed it, configured it via the launcher, started it: now what?
If you are not familiar with the Arma series, a usual recommendation is to access the main menu and select Tutorial, you can find choices such as:
- Read the Game Manual
- Head on the Game Options and change key bindings, languages and difficulty
- Read the in-game Field Manual (from Tutorial → Field Manual)
- Watch Community Guide videos (Steam / YouTube)
- Read and watch Dslyecxi's Tactical Guides (direct link to TTP3)
Playing in Single Player
- Play the VR Training missions to understand the principles
- Play the Showcases to apply these principles in real action
- Play the Bootcamp campaign
- Practice weapons and vehicles in the Virtual Arsenal
- Discover the available Terrains in Eden Editor
- Play the Single Player campaign "The East Wind" to learn to work in a team
- Play the other Single Player content, according to your DLC list:
Playing in Multiplayer
- If you own Arma 3 Apex, play its Multiplayer campaign "Apex Protocol" with experienced friends
- Hours of practice will help you:
- Find the kind of game you like, among the various Multiplayer game types
- Getting different experiences no training can bring (situational awareness, reflexes, specific cases)
- If possible, try to play on multiple servers with friends or an Arma 3 Unit!
Steam Workshop 101
wip Arma 3 does support Steam Workshop. You can find Mods (aka addons) that add some assets, features and experiences that don't exist in vanilla (default game) or scenarios that also don't exist in the game to find another game experience.
To add and install Workshop items, take these steps.
Find and subscribe an item
Head to Steam Workshop and look for any items that might satisfy you. If you find something interested, hit the green “Subscribe” button. It'll download the item automatically.
Mods need to be activated before launching the game from the Launcher. You can active mods in the mods tab of the Arma 3 Launcher.
Enjoy Mods and scenarios
To play scenarios, hit the SINGLEPLAYER > SCENARIOS button from the main menu. You can find Workshop scenarios there, and start playing a scenario. To enjoy Mods, it depends on the type of the Mod. If the Mod adds assets, you can test them from Arsenal or Eden Editor, if adds systems, you can test them in game.
Finding players, communities and help
Official communication channels
- Arma 3 Official Forum
- Arma 3 Official Discord
- Inline code channel if you are looking for players
- Inline code channel if you are looking for squads
- Inline code channel if you are looking for communities
- Inline code channel for… Single Player content advices and discussion
- Inline code channel for help in scripting, as well as Arma 3 Scripting Commands
- Inline code channel where discussions about articles on this wiki happen
- And for all your other questions, Inline code is the channel to be!
Common game modes servers
- Exile Discord
- Epoch Discord
- Antistasi Discord
- Arma RPG Life Discord
- King Of The Hill / Wasteland Discord