Extensions: Difference between revisions

From Bohemia Interactive Community
Jump to navigation Jump to search
No edit summary
(Undo revision 353418 by Killzone Kid (talk))
Tag: Undo

(124 intermediate revisions by 22 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
This topic is about the dlls addons may supply, that a mission or addon may use with the [[callExtension]] script command. This command is available from an arma2 post-1.60 beta. Thus the first stable version that will support it is arma2 1.61 (and reportedly this will be available in TakeOnH and Arma3 as well).
{{TOC|side}}
{{Feature|warning|If you came here because you have been told to install an extension, be warned! Extensions are just like executables. They may contain viruses etc. More on that, in the {{Link|#FAQ}} section.}}

So far this functionality had been achieved by JayArma2Lib, but it was brittle, requiring an update for every beta and patch released.

==For end users==
= Historical =
DLLs are natively executed code. It has access to the computer as the user account arma is running as. Anything you can do to the computer (without invoking a UAC prompt, the yellow/blue shield) the dll can do.

Prior to extensions, an addon maker was quite limited in what harm he could cause to the system. About the worst is bad effects to gameplay whenever the addon is loaded - stop loading it and all will again be fine. With extensions, this is no longer quite the case.
* {{GVI|arma2|1.61}} The first stable version of this functionality arrived.
* {{GVI|arma3|1.18}} Linux (server) support was introduced.
* {{GVI|arma3|1.68}} The ability to pass multiple arguments to [[callExtension]] and the interface {{hl|RVExtensionArgs}} got added.
* {{GVI|arma3|1.70}} {{hl|RVExtensionVersion}} became available. It is called when the extension loads. Will be printed into the RPT log.
* {{GVI|arma3|1.96}} {{Link|#Callback}}s became available.
* {{GVI|arma3|2.12}} {{Link|#Context}} became available.
* {{GVI|arma3|2.18}} {{hl|{{Link|#Feature Flags|RVExtensionFeatureFlags}}}} and {{Link|#Game Functions}} became available.

=== Defending against malicious extensions ===

Establish that the extension writer has reputation on the line. If it's somebody nobody ever heard of, who could just disappear again without a lot of people noticing, then the risk is higher. Even if he were to be exposed, it would happen at no cost to him.
= FAQ =

Make sure the sources are provided. Even if you can't read them, someone else can, and there is a reasonable chance someone will find any backdoors. This increases the risk of getting the crimes exposed; see above.
==== How to use Extensions? ====
Extensions can be accessed using [[callExtension]].

Whoever compiles the sources into a dll can add whatever they want, last minute, in a separate copy from the sources added. You'll be trusting whoever compiles them for you, trustworthy or not. (They can also be tampered with after the dll has been built, but this is harder. Forensics should be able to tell the difference.)
{{Feature|informative|The exact way about how to use an extension is up to the developer of said extension.}}

==== Where to put Extensions? ====
{{arma3}} will look at the following places to find your extension files:
* In all loaded mods root folders (for example: {{hl|..\arma3\@ModXYZ\yourextension.dll}}).
* In your {{arma3}} installation folder (for example: {{hl|..\arma3\yourextension.dll}}).

The easy way out is to simply trust the people involved, and take the fall if/when you do get hacked from it. Problem is, you might not know.
At best, you place your extensions inside some mod folder and load it.<br>
At worst, you just throw it where the {{arma3}} executable is located.

=== Defending against vulnerable extensions ===
''Extensions may require other libraries and runtimes to be installed on the computer it is to run on.''
Consult the authors installation manual if it exists.

Another concern is when the extension is vulnerable. Security vulnerabilities have plagued a lot of software. An extension may well have buffer overflows and other problems which an attacker can exploit to gain access to your system.
==== What are Extensions? ====
Extensions are ''Dynamic Link Library'' (DLL) files written in, for example, C.

If the sources are available, it's possible to see if the programmer has employed coding practices which decrease the risk of buffer overflows and similar basic bugs. This provides no guarantee, but can inspire confidence. By default, we should assume that such practices are not used: most tutorials, university courses, etc teach the new programmer to do it in the worst possible way. (I'll spare you the rant.)
Linux systems use a different file type: ''Shared Object'' (SO).

==For server admins==
==== What do I have to look out for? ====
Extensions fall under the same rules as executable files.
They may require additional runtime libraries or cause the game to crash.
{{Feature|warning|
Extensions can contain malicious code!
Be sure to only use extensions from reliable developers, obtained through reliable sources!
}}

The above concerns wrt the end user is also the case for servers. For any server doing a "persistent world" (*life rpgs come to mind), the above will be even more important.
==== How to know which extensions can be trusted? ====
Theoretically, never trust anything! Including {{arma}} and your OS itself.
Technically however, this would make a boring experience, as all you would be left with is an expensive heater.

Your choice will only get more important when your choice of addons will affect what your users need to install. If you require your users to install an addon containing a malicious or vulnerable extension, you're putting your users at risk.
Thus a better rule is: If the are sources freely available, you probably can trust the extension.
Even if you cannot read the source code, chances are that somebody out there can and would find something odd.
That will not protect you!
Developers might add malicious code that is not exposed in the available source files, they not even need to be aware of this.
They may be infected already and the virus is just writing itself into the compiled extension.

At the time of writing, linux servers do not yet support it - beyond not producing an error for code that uses it.
==== When I call the extension method, {{arma}} freezes. ====
This is most likely caused by the extension taking too much time.
Due to the low-level nature of extensions, an extension cannot be suspended like [[Scheduler|scheduled]] scripts can be.
You should notify the developer of said extension about this freezing issue or use the extension less extensively.

==For mission makers==
==== Can I join BattlEye protected servers with my extension? ====
If the extension is whitelisted by BattlEye, it will be allowed to load - see {{Link|#Getting your extension whitelisted by BattlEye}}.
If it is not, it just will be blocked causing any [[callExtension]] attempt to fail.

A few notes in no particular order
Generally speaking, joining BattlEye-protected servers should be no problem with or without extensions.

* Depending on what that feature is, it may be desirable to make it optional - if the extension is not available, the mission would still work, but without that feature.
If in doubt, ask the extension's author.
* Given that linux servers do not -yet- support this, means these servers will act as if the server does not have the extension installed.
* Using an extension adds a dependency on that extension. At the outset this is no different from a dependency on an addon, except this dependency is never automatically checked unless you're using objects from that addon as well.
* A user may have an addon downloaded, but not have the extension enabled even though it's supposed to come as part of that addon.

=== Scripting ===
==== Can I use extensions in my mission? ====
See [[callExtension]].
Yes, you can use extensions in your missions, but you should consider if it is worth it.
Using extensions requires that all hosts (servers and clients) which use the extension have it installed. Extensions are not packed into the mission pbo.
{{Feature|informative|If only the server is using the extension, the clients do not need it.}}

==For addon makers==
==== What do i have to look out for when deploying my extension? ====
TODO. Suggestions?
Extensions have to be provided for 32bit and 64bit {{arma}}.
How to make? (List of relevant biki pages?)
When you deploy your extension, you thus have to build it twice.
Once for the 32bit support and once for the 64bit support.

After you are done, copy both output files to some location and add a {{hl|_x64.dll}} suffix to the 64bit file.

Example:
* Windows:
** {{hl|MyExtension.dll}} (32bit)
** {{hl|MyExtension_x64.dll}} (64bit)
* Linux:
** {{hl|MyExtension.so}} (32bit)
** {{hl|MyExtension_x64.so}} (64bit)

= Creating Extensions =

== Preamble ==

Before we start, ask yourself the following questions:
* is SQF unable to fulfill your needs?
* Making an extension requires knowledge of a programming language. Are you capable of performing that programming task?
* Why should a user trust you and use your extension?
* Is it worth adding an extension for the feature you want to implement?

If the answer to any question was no, you probably should not proceed to create an extension but rather use plain SQF.

== Getting Started ==

At first, we have to choose what language we want to use.

<!-- If you plan on adding another language, make sure you can provide code snippets for ALL examples required! -->
This wiki currently covers the following: '''C''', '''C++''', '''C#'''

=== Preparations ===

==== C/C++ ====
Create a new library project in the IDE of your choice.

==== C# ====
C# requires you to install additional dependencies to work out of the box.
The snippets in here all are using {{Link|https://www.nuget.org/packages/UnmanagedExports|DllExport}} ({{Link|https://github.com/3F/DllExport|sources}}) which can be installed using NuGet.

Create a new Class Library project in the IDE of your choice.

== Available Interfaces ==

The Extension is required to contain at least the entry point in a form of a method named RVExtension or RVExtensionArgs.
Everything else is optional.

The actual exports need to look like this (Windows only):

'''32-bit requires usage of {{Link|https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/build/reference/decorated-names?view{{=}}vs-2019|decorated names}} following the {{hl|__stdcall}} convention'''
* {{hl|_RVExtension@12}}
* {{hl|_RVExtensionArgs@20}}
* {{hl|_RVExtensionVersion@8}}

'''64-bit'''
* {{hl|RVExtension}}
* {{hl|RVExtensionArgs}}
* {{hl|RVExtensionVersion}}

If you use the Visual C++ compiler, this should work out of the box. But other compilers might require some manual work.

=== C/C++ ===

==== Visual C++ ====
<syntaxhighlight lang="c">
//--- Called by Engine on extension load
__declspec (dllexport) void __stdcall RVExtensionVersion(char *output, unsigned int outputSize);
//--- STRING callExtension STRING
__declspec (dllexport) void __stdcall RVExtension(char *output, unsigned int outputSize, const char *function);
//--- STRING callExtension ARRAY
__declspec (dllexport) int __stdcall RVExtensionArgs(char *output, unsigned int outputSize, const char *function, const char **argv, unsigned int argc);
//--- Extension Callback
__declspec (dllexport) void __stdcall RVExtensionRegisterCallback(int(*callbackProc)(char const *name, char const *function, char const *data));
//--- Engine passed context [steamID, fileSource, missionSourceName, serverName] since Arma 3 v2.12
__declspec (dllexport) void __stdcall RVExtensionContext(const char **argv, unsigned int argc);
</syntaxhighlight>

==== GCC ====
__attribute__((dllexport)) void RVExtensionVersion(char *output, unsigned int outputSize);
__attribute__((dllexport)) void RVExtension(char *output, unsigned int outputSize, const char *function);
__attribute__((dllexport)) int RVExtensionArgs(char *output, unsigned int outputSize, const char *function, const char **argv, unsigned int argc);
//--- Extension Callback
__attribute__((dllexport)) void RVExtensionRegisterCallback(int(*callbackProc)(char const *name, char const *function, char const *data));
//--- Engine passed context [steamID, fileSource, missionSourceName, serverName] since Arma 3 v2.12
__attribute__((dllexport)) void RVExtensionContext(const char **argv, unsigned int argc);
</syntaxhighlight>

See GCC documentation on {{Link|https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Visibility|"How to use the new C++ visibility support"}}

=== C# ===

{{Feature|informative|
You might need to install {{Link|https://www.nuget.org/packages/UnmanagedExports|UnmanagedExports}}. You might also need to additionally set {{hl|WIN64}} and {{hl|WIN32}} in project properties.
Go to: {{hl|Project->Properties->Build tab->Conditional compilation symbols}}, add {{hl|WIN32}} for your {{hl|x86}} platform and {{hl|WIN64}} for your {{hl|x64}} platform. Save.
Rename resulting {{hl|WIN64}} {{hl|dllname.dll}} to {{hl|dllname_x64.dll}}.
}}
<syntaxhighlight lang="c#">
/// <summary>
/// Gets called when Arma starts up and loads all extension.
/// It's perfect to load in static objects in a separate thread so that the extension doesn't needs any separate initalization
/// </summary>
/// <param name="output">The string builder object that contains the result of the function</param>
/// <param name="outputSize">The maximum size of bytes that can be returned</param>
#if WIN64
[DllExport("RVExtensionVersion", CallingConvention = CallingConvention.Winapi)]
#else
[DllExport("_RVExtensionVersion@8", CallingConvention = CallingConvention.Winapi)]
#endif
public static void RvExtensionVersion(StringBuilder output, unsigned int outputSize) { }

/// <summary>
/// The entry point for the default callExtension command.
/// </summary>
/// <param name="output">The string builder object that contains the result of the function</param>
/// <param name="outputSize">The maximum size of bytes that can be returned</param>
/// <param name="function">The string argument that is used along with callExtension</param>
#if WIN64
[DllExport("RVExtension", CallingConvention = CallingConvention.Winapi)]
#else
[DllExport("_RVExtension@12", CallingConvention = CallingConvention.Winapi)]
#endif
public static void RvExtension(StringBuilder output, unsigned int outputSize,
[MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.LPStr)] string function) { }

/// <summary>
/// The entry point for the callExtensionArgs command.
/// </summary>
/// <param name="function">The string argument that is used along with callExtension</param>
/// <param name="args">The args passed to callExtension as a string array</param>
/// <param name="argsCount">The size of the string array args</param>
/// <returns>The result code</returns>
#if WIN64
[DllExport("RVExtensionArgs", CallingConvention = CallingConvention.Winapi)]
#else
[DllExport("_RVExtensionArgs@20", CallingConvention = CallingConvention.Winapi)]
#endif
public static int RvExtensionArgs(StringBuilder output, unsigned int outputSize,
[MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.LPStr)] string function,
[MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.LPArray, ArraySubType = UnmanagedType.LPStr, SizeParamIndex = 4)] string[] args, unsigned int argCount) { }
</syntaxhighlight>

{{ArgTitle|2|Getting your extension whitelisted by BattlEye|{{GVI|arma3|1.46}}}}

Since {{GVI|arma3|1.46}}, client extensions need to be whitelisted in order to get loaded.

The {{Link|https://dev.arma3.com/post/sitrep-00109|SITREP #00109}} said the following on that topic:
The enhanced BattlEye protection in 1.46 will require extensions to be '''white-listed''', or their access to the game's processes will be blocked.
In order to get your extension white-listed, please contact BattlEye support via {{Link|http://www.battleye.com/contact/|its web form}} or support[at]battleye.com.
Be sure to include the file name, a description and possibly a download link.

This boils down to the following tasks to get your extension whitelisted:
# Upload the extension in question somewhere.
# Open the {{Link|http://www.battleye.com/contact/|BattlEye Contact Page}}.
# Pick the topic {{hl|Other requests}} (may change in future, select the most appropriate).
# Fill in your Name and E-Mail.
# Set the subject to something like {{hl|{{arma}} extension whitelisting}}.
# Add link to your extension from step 1 (you may include other information too) into the Message.

After a certain time, your extension should be whitelisted.

== Deploying extensions ==

To correctly deploy your extensions, you have to make sure to have a 32bit and a 64bit variant of your extension.
The reason for this is because 64bit {{arma}} cannot load 32bit extensions and vice versa.

You also should create an addon package (even if you only deploy the actual extension binaries) + add the documentation for your extension.

An example might be structured like this:
* {{hl|/@MyExtension/}}
** {{hl|/MyExtension.dll}}
** {{hl|/MyExtension_x64.dll}}
** {{hl|/docs/}}
*** {{hl|/MyExtension_Documentation.txt}}

You may also want to provide convenience SQF functions to access your extension.

== Minimum Viable Example ==

The following examples will copy the input into the output. They are provided to show some practical example.

{{TabView
|title1= C (Visual C++)
|content1=
__declspec(dllexport) void __stdcall RVExtension(char *output, unsigned int outputSize, const char *function);
__declspec(dllexport) int __stdcall RVExtensionArgs(char *output, unsigned int outputSize, const char *function, const char **argv, unsigned int argc);
__declspec(dllexport) void __stdcall RVExtensionVersion(char *output, unsigned int outputSize);

int strncpy_safe(char *output, const char *src, int size)
{
int i;
size--;
for (i = 0; i < size && src[i] != '\0'; i++)
{
output[i] = src[i];
}
output[i] = '\0';
return i;
}

void __stdcall RVExtension(char *output, unsigned int outputSize, const char *function)
{
strncpy_safe(output, function, outputSize);
}

int __stdcall RVExtensionArgs(char *output, unsigned int outputSize, const char *function, const char **argv, unsigned int argc)
{
int index = 0;
for (int i = 0; i < argc && index < outputSize; i++)
{
index += strncpy_safe(output + index, argv[i], outputSize - 1 - index);
}
return 0;
}

void __stdcall RVExtensionVersion(char *output, unsigned int outputSize)
{
strncpy_safe(output, "Test-Extension v1.0", outputSize);
}
</syntaxhighlight>

|title2= C (GCC)
|content2=
__attribute__((dllexport)) void RVExtension(char *output, unsigned int outputSize, const char *function);
__attribute__((dllexport)) int RVExtensionArgs(char *output, unsigned int outputSize, const char *function, const char **argv, unsigned int argc);
__attribute__((dllexport)) void RVExtensionVersion(char *output, unsigned int outputSize);

{
int i;
size--;
{
output[i] = src[i];
}
output[i] = '\0';
return i;
}

void RVExtension(char *output, unsigned int outputSize, const char *function)
{
}

int RVExtensionArgs(char *output, unsigned int outputSize, const char *function, const char **argv, unsigned int argc)
{
int index = 0;
{
}
return 0;
}

void RVExtensionVersion(char *output, unsigned int outputSize)
{
}
</syntaxhighlight>

|title3= C++ (Visual C++)
|content3=
<syntaxhighlight lang="cpp">
#include <string>
#include <cstring>
#include <sstream>
extern "C"
{
__declspec(dllexport) void __stdcall RVExtension(char *output, unsigned int outputSize, const char *function);
__declspec(dllexport) int __stdcall RVExtensionArgs(char *output, unsigned int outputSize, const char *function, const char **argv, unsigned int argc);
__declspec(dllexport) void __stdcall RVExtensionVersion(char *output, unsigned int outputSize);
}
void __stdcall RVExtension(char *output, unsigned int outputSize, const char *function)
{
std::strncpy(output, function, outputSize - 1);
}

int __stdcall RVExtensionArgs(char *output, unsigned int outputSize, const char *function, const char **argv, unsigned int argc)
{
std::stringstream sstream;
for (int i = 0; i < argc; i++)
{
sstream << argv[i];
}
std::strncpy(output, sstream.str().c_str(), outputSize - 1);
return 0;
}

{
std::strncpy(output, "Test-Extension v1.0", outputSize - 1);
}
</syntaxhighlight>

|title4= C++ (GCC)
|content4=
#include <string>
#include <cstring>
#include <sstream>
extern "C"
{
}
{
}

int RVExtensionArgs(char *output, unsigned int outputSize, const char *function, const char **argv, unsigned int argc)
{
{
sstream << argv[i];
}
return 0;
}

{
}
</syntaxhighlight>

|title5= C#
|content5=
using System.Text;
using System.Runtime.InteropServices;
using RGiesecke.DllExport;

class MyExtension {

#if WIN64
#else
[DllExport("_RVExtensionVersion@8", CallingConvention = CallingConvention.Winapi)]
#endif
public static void RvExtensionVersion(StringBuilder output, unsigned int outputSize)
{
output.Append("Test-Extension v1.0");
}

#if WIN64
#else
#endif
[MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.LPStr)] string function)
{
output.Append(function);
}

#if WIN64
#else
[DllExport("_RVExtensionArgs@20", CallingConvention = CallingConvention.Winapi)]
#endif
public static int RvExtensionArgs(StringBuilder output, unsigned int outputSize,
[MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.LPArray, ArraySubType = UnmanagedType.LPStr, SizeParamIndex = 4)] string[] args, unsigned int argCount)
{
foreach(var arg in args)
{
output.Append(arg);
}
return 0;
}
}
</syntaxhighlight>

|title6= C# (w/ callback)
|content6=
using System.Text;

class MyExtension {

public static ExtensionCallback callback;
public delegate int ExtensionCallback([MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.LPStr)] string name, [MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.LPStr)] string function, [MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.LPStr)] string data);

#if WIN64
[DllExport("RVExtensionRegisterCallback", CallingConvention = CallingConvention.Winapi)]
#else
[DllExport("_RVExtensionRegisterCallback@4", CallingConvention = CallingConvention.Winapi)]
#endif
public static void RVExtensionRegisterCallback([MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.FunctionPtr)] ExtensionCallback func)
{
callback = func;
}

#if WIN64
#else
#endif
public static void RvExtensionVersion(StringBuilder output, unsigned int outputSize)
{
}

#if WIN64
#else
#endif
{
output.Append(function);
}

#if WIN64
#else
#endif
[MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.LPArray, ArraySubType = UnmanagedType.LPStr, SizeParamIndex = 4)] string[] args, unsigned int argCount)
{
foreach(var arg in args)
{
output.Append(arg);
}
return 0;
}
}
</syntaxhighlight>
}}

== Other Languages ==

This section contains other languages which may or may not work. Finding out requirements etc. is up to you.
{{Feature|informative|Help Wanted!}}
If you know any of the following languages, consider editing this page to add the language to the upper list properly.

{{TabView
|title1= Delphi/Pascal
|content1=
<syntaxhighlight lang="delphi">
library dllTest;

uses
  SysUtils;

{Return value is not used.}
procedure RVExtension(toArma: PAnsiChar; outputSize: Integer; fromArma: PAnsiChar); stdcall; export;
begin
  StrCopy(toArma, fromArma);
end;

exports
  { 32-bit }
  RVExtension name '_RVExtension@12';
  { 64-bit }
  RVExtension name 'RVExtension';
begin
end;
</syntaxhighlight>

|title2= D
|content2=
<syntaxhighlight lang="d">
import std.c.windows.windows;
import core.sys.windows.dll;

__gshared HINSTANCE g_hInst;

extern (Windows) BOOL DllMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, ULONG ulReason, LPVOID pvReserved) {
final switch (ulReason) {
case DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH:
g_hInst = hInstance;
dll_process_attach(hInstance, true);
break;

case DLL_PROCESS_DETACH:
dll_process_detach(hInstance, true);
break;

case DLL_THREAD_ATTACH:
dll_thread_attach(true, true);
break;

case DLL_THREAD_DETACH:
dll_thread_detach(true, true);
break;
}

return true;
}

import std.conv;
import std.exception;

export extern (Windows) void RVExtension(char* output, int output_size, const char* cinput) {
auto dinput = to!string(cinput);
auto doutput = output[0 .. output_size];
string result;

// ...

enforce(result.length <= output_size, "Output length too long");
doutput[0 .. result.length] = result[];
doutput[result.length] = '\0';
}
</syntaxhighlight>
}}

== Utility Header ==

This C++ header file can be used to define most of the Extension interface. It works on Windows and Linux.<br>
It will be used in the following examples to keep them shorter. It also contains useful definitions for [[#Feature_Flags|Feature Flags]] and {{Link|#Context}} -
Its name is RVExtensionUtils.hpp

<spoiler>
#pragma once
#include <cstdint>
#ifdef _WIN32
#include <windows.h> // GetModuleHandle, GetProcAddress
#else // Linux
#include <dlfcn.h> // dlopen, dlclose, dlsym
#endif

// bitset
enum DllExtensionFeatureFlags : uint64_t
{
RVFeature_ContextArgumentsVoidPtr = 1 << 0,
RVFeature_ContextStackTrace = 1 << 1,
RVFeature_ContextNoDefaultCall = 1 << 2,
};

struct RVContext_StackTrace
{
struct StackTraceLine
{
// Line number in file (before preprocessing if preprocessed with line numbers)
uint32_t lineNumber;
// File offset in bytes from the start of the file (after preprocessing)
uint32_t fileOffset;
// Filepath to the source file
const char* sourceFile;
// scopeName set on that level
const char* scopeName;
// Complete fileContent of the sourceFile (after preprocessing, can be combined with fileOffset to find exact location)
const char* fileContent;
};

StackTraceLine* lines = nullptr;
uint32_t lineCount = 0;
};

#ifdef _WIN32
#define DLLEXPORT __declspec (dllexport)
#define CALL_CONVENTION __stdcall
#else // Linux
#if __GNUC__ >= 4
#define DLLEXPORT __attribute__ ((visibility ("default")))
#else
#define DLLEXPORT __attribute__((dllexport))
#endif

#define CALL_CONVENTION
#endif

extern "C"
{
typedef int (CALL_CONVENTION RVExtensionCallbackProc)(char const* name, char const* function, char const* data);
typedef void CALL_CONVENTION RVExtensionRequestContextProc();

DLLEXPORT void CALL_CONVENTION RVExtensionVersion(char* output, unsigned int outputSize);
DLLEXPORT void CALL_CONVENTION RVExtension(char* output, unsigned int outputSize, const char* function);
DLLEXPORT int CALL_CONVENTION RVExtensionArgs(char* output, unsigned int outputSize, const char* function, const char** argv, unsigned int argc);
//--- Called by Engine on extension load to pass RVExtensionCallbackProc to it
DLLEXPORT void CALL_CONVENTION RVExtensionRegisterCallback(RVExtensionCallbackProc* callbackProc);
}

//--- Finds a game exported function by its name
inline const void* FindRVFunction(const char* name)
{
#ifdef _WIN32
return reinterpret_cast<void*>(GetProcAddress(GetModuleHandle(nullptr), name));
#else // Linux
auto armaHandle = dlopen(nullptr, RTLD_LAZY | RTLD_NOLOAD);
auto result = dlsym(armaHandle, name);
dlclose(armaHandle);
return result;
#endif
}
</syntaxhighlight>
</spoiler>

{{ArgTitle|2|Feature Flags|{{GVI|arma3|2.18}}}}

Feature flags can change the behavior of the Extension.
Their main purpose is to only enable certain features when they are needed, so that Extensions that don't need them don't have to pay the cost for it.
Multiple flags can be combined.
To set no flags, either 0 must be specified or the RVExtensionFeatureFlags variable must be omitted.

Flags are checked before every RVExtension/RVExtensionArgs execution. They can be changed at runtime between executions, but make sure that the effects of changed flags are handled correctly.

Existing flags
* {{hl|RVFeature_ContextArgumentsVoidPtr}} - RVExtensionContext takes {{hl|const void**}} as argument, instead of the default {{hl|const char**}}, and arguments will be passed in their custom types - see {{Link|#Context Arguments}}.
* {{hl|RVFeature_ContextStackTrace}} - RVExtensionContext will retrieve a full Stacktrace - see {{Link|#Context}}.
* {{hl|RVFeature_ContextNoDefaultCall}} - RVExtensionContext will not be called automatically. It must be manually requested via RVExtensionRequestContext (This improves performance when context is not needed).

Setting Flags

Example Visual C++
#include <cstdint>
#include "RVExtensionUtil.hpp"

extern "C"
{
__declspec(dllexport) uint64_t RVExtensionFeatureFlags = RVFeature_ContextStackTrace | RVFeature_ContextNoDefaultCall;
}
</syntaxhighlight>

{{ArgTitle|2|Game Functions|{{GVI|arma3|2.18}}}}

The Game exports some functions that can be retrieved, in order to call back into Game functionality.
The [[#Utility_Header|Utility Header]] defines a function called {{hl|FindRVFunction}} that can be used to retrieve their addresses.
{| class="wikitable"
|+ Available Game Functions
|-
! Name !! Type !! Description
|-
| RVExtensionCallback || <syntaxhighlight lang="cpp">typedef int (CALL_CONVENTION RVExtensionCallbackProc)(char const* name, char const* function, char const* data);</syntaxhighlight> || Adds a callback, see #TODO
|-
| RVExtensionRequestContext || <syntaxhighlight lang="cpp">typedef void CALL_CONVENTION RVExtensionRequestContextProc();</syntaxhighlight> || Requests execution of [[#Context|{{hl|RVExtensionContext}}]]
|}

{{ArgTitle|2|Callback|{{GVI|arma3|1.96}}}}

It is possible to call the game directly from the extension via function pointer provided when extension is called for the first time.
Since {{GVI|arma3|2.18}} it can also be requested when needed, see {{Link|#Game Functions}}.<br>
The function pointer passed over to {{hl|RVExtensionRegisterCallback}} method is of the following signature:
<syntaxhighlight lang="cpp">int(*callbackProc)(char const *name, char const *function, char const *data)</syntaxhighlight>

Calling this function pointer from extension will trigger {{Link|Arma 3: Mission Event Handlers#ExtensionCallback|"ExtensionCallback"}} mission event handler with three user-supplied
params. The params are:
* {{hl|name}} - make it unique name, for example the extension name, so that other modders can quickly filter out calls from own extensions
* {{hl|function}} - make it name of the function the extension sends the result to. (Note: The returned function is just a STRING! So [[compile]] is needed, before using [[call]] or [[spawn]], to execute it)
* {{hl|data}} - make it the actual result. You can also format it as an array so it could be parsed by [[parseSimpleArray]]
Calling function pointer returns an {{hl|int}}. This is the number of available slots in the input buffer left for this frame after your call and can range from 99 to -1.<br>
The buffer is processed and cleared every frame and the maximum number of slots that can be filled per frame is 100.
If you are planning to call back with more than 100 results per frame, make sure your extension retries if it receives negative {{hl|int}}, which means the buffer was full and your call did not succeed.
Ideally suited for callbacks from different threads, but if callback is initiated from the calling thread, the EH will fire on the next frame of game simulation.<br>
The "ExtensionCallback" event handler needs to exist before any callbacks, otherwise the data will just stay in the buffer. Removing all "ExtensionCallback" EHs clears the buffer as well as mission restart.

Usage Example:
<sqf>
fncToExecute_1 = { hint format ["Extension Result 1: %1", _this] };
fncToExecute_2 = { hint format ["Extension Result 2: %1", _this] };
fncToExecute_3 = { hint format ["Extension Result 3: %1", _this] };

addMissionEventHandler ["ExtensionCallback",
{
params ["_name", "_function", "_data"];
if (_name isEqualTo "test_callback") then
{
parseSimpleArray _data call (missionNamespace getVariable [_function,
{
hint "Function does not exist!";
}]);
};
}];

"test_callback" callExtension str "test data";
</sqf>

Here is a minimal example of an extension using {{Link|Arma 3: Mission Event Handlers#ExtensionCallback|extension callback}} (do not actually do it like this for a real extension).
''fncToExecute_X'' function is called from "ExtensionCallback" event handler when it is triggered after 2 seconds of the extension call.

<spoiler>
#include <thread>
#include <string>
#include <chrono>

RVExtensionCallbackProc* callbackPtr = nullptr;

void CALL_CONVENTION RVExtensionRegisterCallback(RVExtensionCallbackProc* callbackProc)
{
callbackPtr = callbackProc;
}

void CALL_CONVENTION RVExtension(char *output, unsigned int outputSize, const char *function)
{
if (!callbackPtr)
return;

std::thread ([](std::string fnc)
{
using namespace std::chrono_literals;
fnc = "[1,2,3," + fnc + "]";

for (int i = 1; i < 4; ++i) // run 3 times
{
std::this_thread::sleep_for(2s); // sleep for 2 seconds
callbackPtr("test_callback", ("fncToExecute_" + std::to_string(i)).c_str(), fnc.c_str());
}

}, function).detach();
}
</syntaxhighlight>
</spoiler>

{{ArgTitle|2|Context|{{GVI|arma3|2.12}}}}

RVExtensionContext is called before every RVExtension/RVExtensionArgs execution, providing context about where the call came from.
Using {{Link|#Feature Flags}} can change the number of elements passed, but it does not change their order.

=== Context Arguments ===

By default (due to backwards compatability) context receives an array of char*. Every value will be converted to a string.
However with the {{hl|RVFeature_ContextArgumentsVoidPtr}} {{Link|#Feature Flags}}, it can be switched to an array of void*, where the specific datatype per entry is defined per context element.

It will pass the following data in this order:

{| class="wikitable"
|+ Caption text
|-
! Name !! Description !! String content !! Custom datatype with {{hl|RVFeature_ContextArgumentsVoidPtr}}
|-
| steamId || Steam 64bit userID of the local machine, same as [[getPlayerUID]] || "0", number as string, no extra quotes || {{hl|const uint64_t*}} the UID
|-
| fileSource || file from which the extension was executed or "" if unavailable || X || {{hl|const char*}}
|-
| missionName || [[missionNameSource]] || X || {{hl|const char*}}
|-
| serverName || [[serverName]] || X || {{hl|const char*}}
|-
| remoteExecutedOwner || [[remoteExecutedOwner]] || "0", number as string, no extra quotes || {{hl|const int16_t*}}
|-
| stackTrace || Stacktrace of the script that executed [[callExtension]]. [[diag_stacktrace]] || In format {{hl|LineNumber;SourceFile;ScopeName\n}} for each stack level. || {{hl|const RVContext_StackTrace*}}
{
struct StackTraceLine
{
uint32_t lineNumber;
uint32_t fileOffset;
const char* sourceFile;
const char* scopeName;
// Complete fileContent of the sourceFile (after preprocessing, can be combined with fileOffset to find exact location)
const char* fileContent;
};

uint32_t lineCount = 0;
};
</syntaxhighlight>
|}

Here is a minimal example:
<spoiler>
#include <string>
#include <vector>
#include <iterator>
#include <sstream>
#include <iomanip>

std::vector<std::string> contextInfo;

extern "C"
{
//--- Engine passed context
__declspec (dllexport) void __stdcall RVExtensionContext(const char **args, unsigned int argsCnt);
}

//--- name callExtension function
void CALL_CONVENTION RVExtension(char *output, unsigned int outputSize, const char *function)
{
//--- Not used here
(void)function;

if (!contextInfo.empty())
{
std::ostringstream oss;
const char qt = '"';

for (auto it = contextInfo.begin(); it != contextInfo.end() - 1; ++it)
oss << std::quoted(*it, qt, qt) << ",";
oss << std::quoted(contextInfo.back(), qt, qt);

//--- Send context info back
strncpy_s(output, outputSize, ("[" + oss.str() + "]").c_str(), _TRUNCATE);
}
}

//--- Context is executed first, copy it
void CALL_CONVENTION RVExtensionContext(const char **args, unsigned int argsCnt)
{
contextInfo.assign(args, std::next(args, argsCnt));
}
</syntaxhighlight>
</spoiler>

Here is a example using {{hl|RVFeature_ContextArgumentsVoidPtr}} combined with {{hl|RVFeature_ContextStackTrace}}:
<spoiler>
#include <string>
#include <vector>
#include <iterator>
#include <sstream>
#include <iomanip>

struct CallContext
{
uint64_t steamId;
std::string fileSource;
std::string missionName;
std::string serverName;
int16_t remoteExecutedOwner;

struct StackTraceLine
{
uint32_t lineNumber;
uint32_t fileOffset;
std::string sourceFile;
std::string scopeName;
std::string fileContent;
};

std::vector<StackTraceLine> stackTrace;
} contextInfo;

extern "C"
{
__declspec (dllexport) void __stdcall RVExtensionContext(const void **args, unsigned int argsCnt);

__declspec(dllexport) uint64_t RVExtensionFeatureFlags = RVFeature_ContextArgumentsVoidPtr | RVFeature_ContextStackTrace;
}

{
//--- Not used here
(void)function;

{
const char qt = '"';

oss << qt << contextInfo.steamId << qt << ",";
oss << std::quoted(contextInfo.fileSource, qt, qt) << ",";
oss << std::quoted(contextInfo.missionName, qt, qt) << ",";
oss << std::quoted(contextInfo.serverName, qt, qt) << ",";
oss << contextInfo.remoteExecutedOwner << ",";

}
}

//--- Context is executed before RVExtension is called, and its values are only valid while inside RVExtensionContext function, so we need to copy them to use them later
void CALL_CONVENTION RVExtensionContext(const void **args, unsigned int argsCnt)
{
size_t index = 0;
contextInfo.steamId = *static_cast<const uint64_t*>(args[index++]);
contextInfo.fileSource = static_cast<const char*>(args[index++]);
contextInfo.missionName = static_cast<const char*>(args[index++]);
contextInfo.serverName = static_cast<const char*>(args[index++]);
contextInfo.remoteExecutedOwner = *static_cast<const int16_t*>(args[index++]);

if (RVExtensionFeatureFlags & RVFeature_ContextStackTrace) {
auto stackTrace = static_cast<const RVContext_StackTrace*>(argv[index++]);

std::transform(stackTrace->lines, stackTrace->lines + stackTrace->lineCount, std::back_inserter(contextInfo.stackTrace),
[](const RVContext_StackTrace::StackTraceLine& line)
{
return CallContext::StackTraceLine
{
line.lineNumber,
line.fileOffset,
line.sourceFile,
line.scopeName,
line.fileContent // File content is large and expensive to copy
};
});
}
}
</syntaxhighlight>
</spoiler>

=== Manually Context Request ===

Having RVExtensionContext be called every time before every extension execution can be a waste of performance if the context is not required every time.
This automatic call can be disabled with the {{hl|RVFeature_ContextNoDefaultCall}} [[#Feature_Flags|Feature Flag]]. When the flag is set, the context must be requested.

The Game is exporting a function called {{hl|RVExtensionRequestContext}} that can be used to request it, it will then call {{hl|RVExtensionContext}}.
The {{hl|RVExtensionContext}} execution will be completed when {{hl|RVExtensionRequestContext}} returns.
If the {{hl|RVExtensionContext}} exported function is not defined, requesting context will have no effect.
The {{hl|RVExtensionContext}} call will respect the currently set {{hl|RVExtensionFeatureFlags}}, {{hl|RVExtensionContext}} can also be called multiple times, with different feature flags.

Here is a example on how to fetch the RequestContext function, and how to use it:
<spoiler>
#include <string>
#include <vector>
#include <iterator>
#include <sstream>
#include <iomanip>

struct CallContext
{
uint64_t steamId;
} contextInfo;

extern "C"
{
__declspec (dllexport) void __stdcall RVExtensionContext(const void **args, unsigned int argsCnt);

__declspec(dllexport) uint64_t RVExtensionFeatureFlags = RVFeature_ContextArgumentsVoidPtr | RVFeature_ContextStackTrace | RVFeature_ContextNoDefaultCall;
}

RVExtensionRequestContextProc* requestContext;

void CALL_CONVENTION RVExtensionVersion(char *output, unsigned int outputSize)
{
requestContext = reinterpret_cast<RVExtensionRequestContextProc*>(FindRVFunction("RVExtensionRequestContext"));
}

{
//--- Not used here
(void)function;

requestContext(); // Request the context dynamically when we need it

{
const char qt = '"';

}
}

//--- Its values are only valid while inside RVExtensionContext function, so we need to copy them to use them later
void CALL_CONVENTION RVExtensionContext(const void **args, unsigned int argsCnt)
{
size_t index = 0;
}
</syntaxhighlight>
</spoiler>

= External References =

<!-- This is supposed to be filled by people who want to provide further examples which do not fit in here due to their complexity etc. -->
<!-- It was requested that such a place would exist for stuff that does not fit in here. -->
The {{Link|https://github.com/arma3/RV-Extension-Examples|Community-Lead Examples Repository}} can be used for further examples which go more into detail.
To get your example on there, just fork the repository and create a Pull-Request afterwards.

==== C/C++ ====
[[User:Killzone_Kid|Killzone_Kid]]'s "How To Make an {{arma}} Extension" tutorials:<br>
:  {{Link|http://killzonekid.com/arma-scripting-tutorials-how-to-make-arma-extension-part-1/|Part 1}}<!--
--> {{Link|http://killzonekid.com/arma-scripting-tutorials-how-to-make-arma-extension-part-2/|Part 2}}<!--
--> {{Link|http://killzonekid.com/arma-scripting-tutorials-how-to-make-arma-extension-part-3/|Part 3}}<!--
--> {{Link|http://killzonekid.com/arma-scripting-tutorials-how-to-make-arma-extension-part-4/|Part 4}}

==== C# ====
* {{Link|http://maca134.co.uk/tutorial/write-an-arma-extension-in-c-sharp-dot-net/|Write An {{arma}} Extension In C#/.NET}}

==== Rust ====
* {{Link|https://github.com/BrettMayson/arma-rs|arma-rs - Crate for easily and quickly building powerful extensions}}

==== Golang ====
* {{Link|https://github.com/indig0fox/a3go|a3go}}, an {{arma}} Go library by IndigoFox - for Go '''1.20'''
* {{Link|https://github.com/code34/armago_x64/|Armago}}, an {{arma}} template extension - for Go '''''1.16'''''

==== External Applications ====
* {{Link|http://killzonekid.com/arma-3-extension-tester-callextension-exe-callextension_x64-exe/|KK's {{arma3}} Extension Tester}}
* {{Link|http://killzonekid.com/callextension-v2-0/|KK's {{arma3}} Extension Tester v2.0 with callback}}
* {{Link|https://github.com/SQFvm/vm/releases|SQF-VM - Community implementation of SQF}}

{{GameCategory|arma2|Editing}}
{{GameCategory|arma3|Editing}}

Latest revision as of 13:32, 18 March 2024

If you came here because you have been told to install an extension, be warned! Extensions are just like executables. They may contain viruses etc. More on that, in the FAQ section.

Historical

FAQ

How to use Extensions?

Extensions can be accessed using callExtension.

The exact way about how to use an extension is up to the developer of said extension.

Where to put Extensions?

Arma 3 will look at the following places to find your extension files:

• In all loaded mods root folders (for example: ..\arma3\@ModXYZ\yourextension.dll).
  • In your Arma 3 installation folder (for example: ..\arma3\yourextension.dll).

At best, you place your extensions inside some mod folder and load it.
At worst, you just throw it where the Arma 3 executable is located.

Extensions may require other libraries and runtimes to be installed on the computer it is to run on. Consult the authors installation manual if it exists.

What are Extensions?

Extensions are Dynamic Link Library (DLL) files written in, for example, C.

Linux systems use a different file type: Shared Object (SO).

What do I have to look out for?

Extensions fall under the same rules as executable files. They may require additional runtime libraries or cause the game to crash.

Extensions can contain malicious code! Be sure to only use extensions from reliable developers, obtained through reliable sources!

How to know which extensions can be trusted?

Theoretically, never trust anything! Including Arma and your OS itself. Technically however, this would make a boring experience, as all you would be left with is an expensive heater.

Thus a better rule is: If the are sources freely available, you probably can trust the extension. Even if you cannot read the source code, chances are that somebody out there can and would find something odd. That will not protect you! Developers might add malicious code that is not exposed in the available source files, they not even need to be aware of this. They may be infected already and the virus is just writing itself into the compiled extension.

When I call the extension method, Arma freezes.

This is most likely caused by the extension taking too much time. Due to the low-level nature of extensions, an extension cannot be suspended like scheduled scripts can be. You should notify the developer of said extension about this freezing issue or use the extension less extensively.

Can I join BattlEye protected servers with my extension?

If the extension is whitelisted by BattlEye, it will be allowed to load - see Getting your extension whitelisted by BattlEye. If it is not, it just will be blocked causing any callExtension attempt to fail.

Generally speaking, joining BattlEye-protected servers should be no problem with or without extensions.

If in doubt, ask the extension's author.

Can I use extensions in my mission?

Yes, you can use extensions in your missions, but you should consider if it is worth it. Using extensions requires that all hosts (servers and clients) which use the extension have it installed. Extensions are not packed into the mission pbo.

If only the server is using the extension, the clients do not need it.

What do i have to look out for when deploying my extension?

Extensions have to be provided for 32bit and 64bit Arma. When you deploy your extension, you thus have to build it twice. Once for the 32bit support and once for the 64bit support.

After you are done, copy both output files to some location and add a _x64.dll suffix to the 64bit file.

Example:

• Windows:
    • MyExtension.dll (32bit)
    • MyExtension_x64.dll (64bit)
  • Linux:
    • MyExtension.so (32bit)
    • MyExtension_x64.so (64bit)

Creating Extensions

Preamble

Before we start, ask yourself the following questions:

• is SQF unable to fulfill your needs?
  • Making an extension requires knowledge of a programming language. Are you capable of performing that programming task?
  • Why should a user trust you and use your extension?
  • Is it worth adding an extension for the feature you want to implement?

If the answer to any question was no, you probably should not proceed to create an extension but rather use plain SQF.

Getting Started

At first, we have to choose what language we want to use.

This wiki currently covers the following: C, C++, C#

Preparations

C/C++

Create a new library project in the IDE of your choice.

C#

C# requires you to install additional dependencies to work out of the box. The snippets in here all are using DllExport (sources) which can be installed using NuGet.

Create a new Class Library project in the IDE of your choice.

Available Interfaces

The Extension is required to contain at least the entry point in a form of a method named RVExtension or RVExtensionArgs. Everything else is optional.

The actual exports need to look like this (Windows only):

32-bit requires usage of decorated names following the __stdcall convention

• _RVExtension@12
  • _RVExtensionArgs@20
  • _RVExtensionVersion@8

64-bit

• RVExtension
  • RVExtensionArgs
  • RVExtensionVersion

If you use the Visual C++ compiler, this should work out of the box. But other compilers might require some manual work.

C/C++

Visual C++

__declspec (dllexport) void __stdcall RVExtensionVersion(char *output, unsigned int outputSize);
	__declspec (dllexport) void __stdcall RVExtension(char *output, unsigned int outputSize, const char *function);
	__declspec (dllexport) int __stdcall RVExtensionArgs(char *output, unsigned int outputSize, const char *function, const char **argv, unsigned int argc);
	//--- Extension Callback
	__declspec (dllexport) void __stdcall RVExtensionRegisterCallback(int(*callbackProc)(char const *name, char const *function, char const *data));
	__declspec (dllexport) void __stdcall RVExtensionContext(const char **argv, unsigned int argc);

GCC

//--- Extension Callback
	__attribute__((dllexport)) void RVExtensionRegisterCallback(int(*callbackProc)(char const *name, char const *function, char const *data));
	__attribute__((dllexport)) void RVExtensionContext(const char **argv, unsigned int argc);

See GCC documentation on "How to use the new C++ visibility support"

C#

You might need to install UnmanagedExports. You might also need to additionally set WIN64 and WIN32 in project properties.

Go to: Project->Properties->Build tab->Conditional compilation symbols, add WIN32 for your x86 platform and WIN64 for your x64 platform. Save.

Rename resulting WIN64 dllname.dll to dllname_x64.dll.
		/// <summary>
		/// Gets called when Arma starts up and loads all extension.
		/// It's perfect to load in static objects in a separate thread so that the extension doesn't needs any separate initalization
		/// </summary>
#if WIN64
#else
#endif
		public static void RvExtensionVersion(StringBuilder output, unsigned int outputSize) { }

/// <summary>
		/// The entry point for the default callExtension command.
		/// </summary>
#if WIN64
#else
#endif
			[MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.LPStr)] string function) { }

/// <summary>
		/// The entry point for the callExtensionArgs command.
		/// </summary>
		/// <param name="args">The args passed to callExtension as a string array</param>
		/// <param name="argsCount">The size of the string array args</param>
		/// <returns>The result code</returns>
#if WIN64
#else
#endif
			[MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.LPArray, ArraySubType = UnmanagedType.LPStr, SizeParamIndex = 4)] string[] args, unsigned int argCount) { }

Getting your extension whitelisted by BattlEye

Since Arma 3 logo black.png1.46, client extensions need to be whitelisted in order to get loaded.

The SITREP #00109 said the following on that topic:

The enhanced BattlEye protection in 1.46 will require extensions to be white-listed, or their access to the game's processes will be blocked.
In order to get your extension white-listed, please contact BattlEye support via its web form or support[at]battleye.com.
Be sure to include the file name, a description and possibly a download link.

This boils down to the following tasks to get your extension whitelisted:

1. Upload the extension in question somewhere.
  2. Open the BattlEye Contact Page.
  3. Pick the topic Other requests (may change in future, select the most appropriate).
  4. Fill in your Name and E-Mail.
  5. Set the subject to something like Arma extension whitelisting.
  6. Add link to your extension from step 1 (you may include other information too) into the Message.

After a certain time, your extension should be whitelisted.

Deploying extensions

To correctly deploy your extensions, you have to make sure to have a 32bit and a 64bit variant of your extension. The reason for this is because 64bit Arma cannot load 32bit extensions and vice versa.

You also should create an addon package (even if you only deploy the actual extension binaries) + add the documentation for your extension.

An example might be structured like this:

• /@MyExtension/
    • /MyExtension.dll
    • /MyExtension_x64.dll
    • /docs/
      • /MyExtension_Documentation.txt

You may also want to provide convenience SQF functions to access your extension.

Minimum Viable Example

The following examples will copy the input into the output. They are provided to show some practical example.

C (Visual C++)
C (GCC)
C++ (Visual C++)
C++ (GCC)
C#
C# (w/ callback)

{
	int i;
	size--;
	{
		output[i] = src[i];
	}
	output[i] = '\0';
	return i;
}

{
}

{
	int index = 0;
	{
	}
	return 0;
}

{
}

{
	int i;
	size--;
	{
		output[i] = src[i];
	}
	output[i] = '\0';
	return i;
}

{
}

{
	int index = 0;
	{
	}
	return 0;
}

{
}
#include <string>
#include <cstring>
#include <sstream>
extern "C"
{
}
{
}

{
	{
		sstream << argv[i];
	}
	return 0;
}

{
}
#include <string>
#include <cstring>
#include <sstream>
extern "C"
{
}
{
}

{
	{
		sstream << argv[i];
	}
	return 0;
}

{
}
using System.Text;

class MyExtension {

#if WIN64
#else
#endif
		{
		}

#if WIN64
#else
#endif
		{
			output.Append(function);
		}

#if WIN64
#else
#endif
		{
			foreach(var arg in args)
			{
				output.Append(arg);
			}
			return 0;
		}
}
using System.Text;

class MyExtension {

public static ExtensionCallback callback;
	public delegate int ExtensionCallback([MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.LPStr)] string name, [MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.LPStr)] string function, [MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.LPStr)] string data);

#if WIN64
		[DllExport("RVExtensionRegisterCallback", CallingConvention = CallingConvention.Winapi)]
#else
		[DllExport("_RVExtensionRegisterCallback@4", CallingConvention = CallingConvention.Winapi)]
#endif
		public static void RVExtensionRegisterCallback([MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.FunctionPtr)] ExtensionCallback func)
		{
			callback = func;
		}

#if WIN64
#else
#endif
		{
		}

#if WIN64
#else
#endif
		{
			output.Append(function);
		}

#if WIN64
#else
#endif
		{
			foreach(var arg in args)
			{
				output.Append(arg);
			}
			return 0;
		}
}

Other Languages

This section contains other languages which may or may not work. Finding out requirements etc. is up to you.

Help Wanted!

If you know any of the following languages, consider editing this page to add the language to the upper list properly.

Delphi/Pascal
D
library dllTest;

uses
  SysUtils;

{Return value is not used.}
procedure RVExtension(toArma: PAnsiChar; outputSize: Integer; fromArma: PAnsiChar); stdcall; export;
begin
  StrCopy(toArma, fromArma);
end;

exports
  { 32-bit }
  RVExtension name '_RVExtension@12';
  { 64-bit }
  RVExtension name 'RVExtension';
begin
end;
import std.c.windows.windows;
import core.sys.windows.dll;

__gshared HINSTANCE g_hInst;

extern (Windows) BOOL DllMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, ULONG ulReason, LPVOID pvReserved) {
	final switch (ulReason) {
		case DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH:
			g_hInst = hInstance;
			dll_process_attach(hInstance, true);
			break;

case DLL_PROCESS_DETACH:
			dll_process_detach(hInstance, true);
			break;

case DLL_THREAD_ATTACH:
			dll_thread_attach(true, true);
			break;

case DLL_THREAD_DETACH:
			dll_thread_detach(true, true);
			break;
	}

return true;
}

import std.conv;
import std.exception;

export extern (Windows) void RVExtension(char* output, int output_size, const char* cinput) {
	auto dinput = to!string(cinput);
	auto doutput = output[0 .. output_size];
	string result;

// ...

enforce(result.length <= output_size, "Output length too long");
	doutput[0 .. result.length] = result[];
	doutput[result.length] = '\0';
}

Utility Header

This C++ header file can be used to define most of the Extension interface. It works on Windows and Linux.
It will be used in the following examples to keep them shorter. It also contains useful definitions for Feature Flags and Context - Its name is RVExtensionUtils.hpp

#pragma once
#include <cstdint>
#ifdef _WIN32
#include <windows.h> // GetModuleHandle, GetProcAddress
#else // Linux
#include <dlfcn.h> // dlopen, dlclose, dlsym
#endif

// bitset
enum DllExtensionFeatureFlags : uint64_t
{
	RVFeature_ContextArgumentsVoidPtr = 1 << 0,
	RVFeature_ContextStackTrace = 1 << 1,
	RVFeature_ContextNoDefaultCall = 1 << 2,
};

{
	struct StackTraceLine
	{
		uint32_t lineNumber;
		uint32_t fileOffset;
		const char* sourceFile;
		const char* scopeName;
		const char* fileContent;
	};

uint32_t lineCount = 0;
};

#ifdef _WIN32
#define DLLEXPORT __declspec (dllexport)
#define CALL_CONVENTION __stdcall
#else // Linux
#if __GNUC__ >= 4
#define DLLEXPORT __attribute__ ((visibility ("default")))
#else
#define DLLEXPORT __attribute__((dllexport))
#endif

#define CALL_CONVENTION
#endif

extern "C"
{
	typedef int (CALL_CONVENTION RVExtensionCallbackProc)(char const* name, char const* function, char const* data);

DLLEXPORT void CALL_CONVENTION RVExtensionVersion(char* output, unsigned int outputSize);
	DLLEXPORT void CALL_CONVENTION RVExtension(char* output, unsigned int outputSize, const char* function);
	DLLEXPORT int CALL_CONVENTION RVExtensionArgs(char* output, unsigned int outputSize, const char* function, const char** argv, unsigned int argc);
	//--- Called by Engine on extension load to pass RVExtensionCallbackProc to it
	DLLEXPORT void CALL_CONVENTION RVExtensionRegisterCallback(RVExtensionCallbackProc* callbackProc);
}

//--- Finds a game exported function by its name
inline const void* FindRVFunction(const char* name)
{
#ifdef _WIN32
	return reinterpret_cast<void*>(GetProcAddress(GetModuleHandle(nullptr), name));
#else // Linux
	auto armaHandle = dlopen(nullptr, RTLD_LAZY | RTLD_NOLOAD);
	auto result = dlsym(armaHandle, name);
	dlclose(armaHandle);
	return result;
#endif
}
↑ Back to spoiler's top

Feature Flags

Feature flags can change the behavior of the Extension. Their main purpose is to only enable certain features when they are needed, so that Extensions that don't need them don't have to pay the cost for it. Multiple flags can be combined. To set no flags, either 0 must be specified or the RVExtensionFeatureFlags variable must be omitted.

Flags are checked before every RVExtension/RVExtensionArgs execution. They can be changed at runtime between executions, but make sure that the effects of changed flags are handled correctly.

Existing flags

• RVFeature_ContextArgumentsVoidPtr - RVExtensionContext takes const void** as argument, instead of the default const char**, and arguments will be passed in their custom types - see Context Arguments.
  • RVFeature_ContextStackTrace - RVExtensionContext will retrieve a full Stacktrace - see Context.
  • RVFeature_ContextNoDefaultCall - RVExtensionContext will not be called automatically. It must be manually requested via RVExtensionRequestContext (This improves performance when context is not needed).

Setting Flags

Example Visual C++

#include <cstdint>

extern "C"
{
	__declspec(dllexport) uint64_t RVExtensionFeatureFlags = RVFeature_ContextStackTrace | RVFeature_ContextNoDefaultCall;
}

Game Functions

The Game exports some functions that can be retrieved, in order to call back into Game functionality. The Utility Header defines a function called FindRVFunction that can be used to retrieve their addresses.

Available Game Functions
Name Type Description
RVExtensionCallback
Adds a callback, see #TODO
RVExtensionRequestContext
Requests execution of RVExtensionContext

Callback

It is possible to call the game directly from the extension via function pointer provided when extension is called for the first time. Since Arma 3 logo black.png2.18 it can also be requested when needed, see Game Functions.
The function pointer passed over to RVExtensionRegisterCallback method is of the following signature:

int(*callbackProc)(char const *name, char const *function, char const *data)

Calling this function pointer from extension will trigger "ExtensionCallback" mission event handler with three user-supplied params. The params are:

• name - make it unique name, for example the extension name, so that other modders can quickly filter out calls from own extensions
  • function - make it name of the function the extension sends the result to. (Note: The returned function is just a STRING! So compile is needed, before using call or spawn, to execute it)
  • data - make it the actual result. You can also format it as an array so it could be parsed by parseSimpleArray

Calling function pointer returns an int. This is the number of available slots in the input buffer left for this frame after your call and can range from 99 to -1.
The buffer is processed and cleared every frame and the maximum number of slots that can be filled per frame is 100. If you are planning to call back with more than 100 results per frame, make sure your extension retries if it receives negative int, which means the buffer was full and your call did not succeed. Ideally suited for callbacks from different threads, but if callback is initiated from the calling thread, the EH will fire on the next frame of game simulation.
The "ExtensionCallback" event handler needs to exist before any callbacks, otherwise the data will just stay in the buffer. Removing all "ExtensionCallback" EHs clears the buffer as well as mission restart.

Usage Example:

fncToExecute_1 = { hint format ["Extension Result 1: %1", _this] }; fncToExecute_2 = { hint format ["Extension Result 2: %1", _this] }; fncToExecute_3 = { hint format ["Extension Result 3: %1", _this] }; addMissionEventHandler ["ExtensionCallback", { params ["_name", "_function", "_data"]; if (_name isEqualTo "test_callback") then { parseSimpleArray _data call (missionNamespace getVariable [_function, { hint "Function does not exist!"; }]); }; }]; "test_callback" callExtension str "test data";

Here is a minimal example of an extension using extension callback (do not actually do it like this for a real extension). fncToExecute_X function is called from "ExtensionCallback" event handler when it is triggered after 2 seconds of the extension call.

#include <thread>
#include <string>
#include <chrono>

RVExtensionCallbackProc* callbackPtr = nullptr;

void CALL_CONVENTION RVExtensionRegisterCallback(RVExtensionCallbackProc* callbackProc)
{
	callbackPtr = callbackProc;
}

{
	if (!callbackPtr)
		return;

std::thread ([](std::string fnc)
	{
		using namespace std::chrono_literals;
		fnc = "[1,2,3," + fnc + "]";

for (int i = 1; i < 4; ++i) // run 3 times
		{
			std::this_thread::sleep_for(2s); // sleep for 2 seconds
			callbackPtr("test_callback", ("fncToExecute_" + std::to_string(i)).c_str(), fnc.c_str());
		}

}, function).detach();
}
↑ Back to spoiler's top

Context

RVExtensionContext is called before every RVExtension/RVExtensionArgs execution, providing context about where the call came from. Using Feature Flags can change the number of elements passed, but it does not change their order.

Context Arguments

By default (due to backwards compatability) context receives an array of char*. Every value will be converted to a string. However with the RVFeature_ContextArgumentsVoidPtr Feature Flags, it can be switched to an array of void*, where the specific datatype per entry is defined per context element.

It will pass the following data in this order:

Caption text
Name Description String content Custom datatype with RVFeature_ContextArgumentsVoidPtr
steamId Steam 64bit userID of the local machine, same as getPlayerUID "0", number as string, no extra quotes const uint64_t* the UID
fileSource file from which the extension was executed or "" if unavailable X const char*
missionName missionNameSource X const char*
serverName serverName X const char*
remoteExecutedOwner remoteExecutedOwner "0", number as string, no extra quotes const int16_t*
stackTrace Stacktrace of the script that executed callExtension. diag_stacktrace In format LineNumber;SourceFile;ScopeName\n for each stack level. const RVContext_StackTrace*
{
	struct StackTraceLine
	{
		uint32_t lineNumber;
		uint32_t fileOffset;
		const char* sourceFile;
		const char* scopeName;
		const char* fileContent;
	};

uint32_t lineCount = 0;
};

Here is a minimal example:

#include <string>
#include <vector>
#include <iterator>
#include <sstream>
#include <iomanip>

std::vector<std::string> contextInfo;

extern "C"
{
	__declspec (dllexport) void __stdcall RVExtensionContext(const char **args, unsigned int argsCnt);
}

{
	//--- Not used here
	(void)function;

if (!contextInfo.empty())
	{
		const char qt = '"';

for (auto it = contextInfo.begin(); it != contextInfo.end() - 1; ++it)
			oss << std::quoted(*it, qt, qt) << ",";
		oss << std::quoted(contextInfo.back(), qt, qt);

}
}

//--- Context is executed first, copy it
void CALL_CONVENTION RVExtensionContext(const char **args, unsigned int argsCnt)
{
	contextInfo.assign(args, std::next(args, argsCnt));
}
↑ Back to spoiler's top

Here is a example using RVFeature_ContextArgumentsVoidPtr combined with RVFeature_ContextStackTrace:

#include <string>
#include <vector>
#include <iterator>
#include <sstream>
#include <iomanip>

struct CallContext
{
	uint64_t steamId;

struct StackTraceLine
	{
		uint32_t lineNumber;
		uint32_t fileOffset;
		std::string sourceFile;
		std::string scopeName;
		std::string fileContent;
	};

std::vector<StackTraceLine> stackTrace;
} contextInfo;

extern "C"
{

__declspec(dllexport) uint64_t RVExtensionFeatureFlags = RVFeature_ContextArgumentsVoidPtr | RVFeature_ContextStackTrace;
}

{
	//--- Not used here
	(void)function;

{
		const char qt = '"';

}
}

//--- Context is executed before RVExtension is called, and its values are only valid while inside RVExtensionContext function, so we need to copy them to use them later
{
	size_t index = 0;

if (RVExtensionFeatureFlags & RVFeature_ContextStackTrace) {
		auto stackTrace = static_cast<const RVContext_StackTrace*>(argv[index++]);

std::transform(stackTrace->lines, stackTrace->lines + stackTrace->lineCount, std::back_inserter(contextInfo.stackTrace),
			[](const RVContext_StackTrace::StackTraceLine& line)
			{
					return CallContext::StackTraceLine
					{
						line.lineNumber,
						line.fileOffset,
						line.sourceFile,
						line.scopeName,
						line.fileContent // File content is large and expensive to copy
					};
			});
	}
}
↑ Back to spoiler's top

Manually Context Request

Having RVExtensionContext be called every time before every extension execution can be a waste of performance if the context is not required every time. This automatic call can be disabled with the RVFeature_ContextNoDefaultCall Feature Flag. When the flag is set, the context must be requested.

The Game is exporting a function called RVExtensionRequestContext that can be used to request it, it will then call RVExtensionContext. The RVExtensionContext execution will be completed when RVExtensionRequestContext returns. If the RVExtensionContext exported function is not defined, requesting context will have no effect. The RVExtensionContext call will respect the currently set RVExtensionFeatureFlags, RVExtensionContext can also be called multiple times, with different feature flags.

Here is a example on how to fetch the RequestContext function, and how to use it:

#include <string>
#include <vector>
#include <iterator>
#include <sstream>
#include <iomanip>

struct CallContext
{
	uint64_t steamId;
} contextInfo;

extern "C"
{

__declspec(dllexport) uint64_t RVExtensionFeatureFlags = RVFeature_ContextArgumentsVoidPtr | RVFeature_ContextStackTrace | RVFeature_ContextNoDefaultCall;
}

RVExtensionRequestContextProc* requestContext;

void CALL_CONVENTION RVExtensionVersion(char *output, unsigned int outputSize)
{
	requestContext = reinterpret_cast<RVExtensionRequestContextProc*>(FindRVFunction("RVExtensionRequestContext"));
}

{
	//--- Not used here
	(void)function;

requestContext(); // Request the context dynamically when we need it

{
		const char qt = '"';

}
}

//--- Its values are only valid while inside RVExtensionContext function, so we need to copy them to use them later
{
	size_t index = 0;
}
↑ Back to spoiler's top

External References

The Community-Lead Examples Repository can be used for further examples which go more into detail. To get your example on there, just fork the repository and create a Pull-Request afterwards.

C/C++

Killzone_Kid's "How To Make an Arma Extension" tutorials:

Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4

C#

Rust

Golang

• a3go, an Arma Go library by IndigoFox - for Go 1.20
  • Armago, an Arma template extension - for Go 1.16

External Applications