Identifier: Difference between revisions

From Bohemia Interactive Community
Jump to navigation Jump to search
mNo edit summary
(fixed: floating table was floating too far)
(12 intermediate revisions by 5 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
An '''identifier''' is a name given to a [[Variables|variable]] that the scripter can choose: It is the name that ''identifies'' the variable.
__NOTOC__

An [[Identifier]] is the name given to a [[Variables|variable]] that the scripter can choose: It is the name that ''identifies'' the variable.

== Rules ==
== Rules ==

{| class="wikitable"
! Valid !! Invalid
|-
|
* variable1
* _my_local_variable
* _1variable
* _player
|
* {{Color|red|1}}variable
* _my{{Color|red|#}}localVar
* _guy1{{Color|red|&}}2var
* {{Color|red|player}}
|}
Binding rules for identifiers:

* Identifiers may consist of any ASCII text characters (a-z, A-Z), numbers (0-9) and underscores (_).
* Identifiers may consist of any ASCII characters (a-z, A-Z), numbers (0-9) and underscores (_)
* Identifiers '''must not''' start with a number (e.g "9myVariable" is invalid).
* Identifiers '''must not''' start with a number (f.i. "9myVariable")
* Identifiers of [[Variables|local variables]] '''must''' start with an underscore.
* Identifiers of [[Variables|local variables]] '''must''' start with an underscore
* Identifiers are '''case-insensitive'''.

* Identifiers '''cannot be the same as reserved words''' (e.g [[:Category:Scripting Commands|commands]] and [[:Category:Functions|functions]]).
'''Examples of valid identifiers:'''

myVariable1
_localVariable95
_23Variable

'''Examples of invalid identifiers:'''

123Variable
9_vA#riable
_this&variable

== Recommendations ==
== Recommendations ==
It is recommended to write '''local variable identifiers''' in {{Wikipedia|Camel_case|camel case}} syntax. This makes identifiers more readable:
<code>[[private]] _myVariableName = 5;</code>

It is recommended to write identifiers in camel-case-syntax. That means that all sub-words in the identifier are started with an upper-case character. This makes identifiers better readable.
It is also recommended to prefix '''global variable identifiers''' with '''your''' [[OFPEC tags|tag]] in order to avoid any potential conflict between addons, scripts and missions:
<code>{{cc|<span style{{=}}"color: purple; font-weight: bold">Tag</span>_identifier}}
<span style="color: purple; font-weight: bold">UNIQUETAG</span>_player = [[player]];</code>

'''Example:'''
A less encountered naming format is separating all sub-words with underscores:

<code>_my_variable_name = 5;</code>
myCamelCaseIdentifier

Another but longer method is to split all sub-words with underscores.

'''Example:'''

my_splitted_identifier

== See also ==
== See also ==
* [[Variables]]

* [[Variables]]

[[Category: ArmA: Scripting]]
[[Category: Syntax]]
[[Category: Scripting Topics]]

Revision as of 16:51, 30 December 2020

An Identifier is the name given to a variable that the scripter can choose: It is the name that identifies the variable.

Rules

Valid Invalid
  • variable1
  • _my_local_variable
  • _1variable
  • _player
  • 1variable
  • _my#localVar
  • _guy1&2var
  • player

• Identifiers may consist of any ASCII text characters (a-z, A-Z), numbers (0-9) and underscores (_).
  • Identifiers must not start with a number (e.g "9myVariable" is invalid).
  • Identifiers of local variables must start with an underscore.
  • Identifiers are case-insensitive.
  • Identifiers cannot be the same as reserved words (e.g commands and functions).

Recommendations

It is recommended to write local variable identifiers in camel case syntax. This makes identifiers more readable: private _myVariableName = 5;

It is also recommended to prefix global variable identifiers with your tag in order to avoid any potential conflict between addons, scripts and missions: // Tag_identifier UNIQUETAG_player = player;

A less encountered naming format is separating all sub-words with underscores: _my_variable_name = 5;

See also