Evil Echo – User talk

From Bohemia Interactive Community
Revision as of 00:54, 16 December 2009 by Evil Echo (talk | contribs) (→‎preview)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Please use preview

When you edit pages, please try to use the "Show preview" button (rather than making dozens of individual edits to the same page). That way the edit log (which a lot of people use to find out what's new on the Wiki) isn't cluttered by the same page edit over and over.

Also - I understand that the page limits for mods came at an inopportune time for you guys, as a new build was just about to be released, but I hope all these additions you are doing here currently are just a temporary solution until you have found you own host.

--Kronzky 16:25, 15 December 2009 (CET)

preview

I installed and managed a number of wiki systems for LLNL during my 24+ years there as computer systems architect. Quite familiar with how it works, including the cpu/memory/disk footprint it consumes.

During my work I preview A LOT. But when this web site keeps "refreshing" the page in the middle of my work and losing my changes you are forcing me to save my work far more often than I normally would. Normally I would break the info into more pages to limit the amount of large changes, but your new rules prevented that.

I'm sorry my changes are flooding your logs. Compared to the nominal rate of change on this wiki, it must be quite a shock. But due to the deadline to finish our work here before the 4 week deadline I've had to pick up the pace of changes made.

Plans are well underway to move all of the ACE documentation off this site. I'll also let our user base know where to look for ACE documentation so they do not burden your system anymore.

--Evil Echo 17:51, 15 December 2009 (CET)

If you have that much experience with Wikis then I'm surprised you're not familiar with the concept of working off a local copy of the article.
Copy the article into your local editor, do all the edits in there, and then paste it back into the browser, to check the preview.
That way you don't need to submit endless minor edits, have the convenience of working in a more powerful editor, and never have to worry about Wiki failures. Everybody wins...
--Kronzky 20:11, 15 December 2009 (CET)
I was familiar with that - one reason I have backups of my wiki pages.
Of course, my background would have also have lead me to adjust the web server and php settings not to refresh editing pages,
nor log minor changes ( which are typically corrections in spelling or format, not content ). Along with using a virtual OS
( like Solaris containers or Xen ) and fair-share scheduling to reduce the impact of multiple services running on a single machine.
I'd also have had clear policies in place up front, approached a potential problem with a one-on-one dialog to help the
user correct the issue vs issuing or else edicts, and taken a far more civil tone in customer relations.
Right now the situation is not win-win, it's tie-lose.
ACE has to uproot and move it's documentation, but we will do just fine. All you've done is cost us time.
BI loses because of what the users will think of this incident and all mod developers will see this as
a major step back from what had been perceived as close relations that mutually supported each other.
Concidering how many players have said they bought ArmA2 just to use ACE I would have thought
BI would recognize the benefit of each of us making the other look good.
--Evil Echo 23:54, 15 December 2009 (CET)