Jump to navigation Jump to search
Hover & click on the images for descriptions
- Random real (floating point) value from 0 (inclusive) to x (not inclusive).
- Example 1:
_rNumber = random 1;
- Example 2:
_rNumber = random -10;
- Example 3:
- To select random value from an array:
_array = ["apples", "pears", "bananas", "M16"]; _random = _array select floor random count _array;
- Be careful using random numbers in multiplayer, each client will come up with a different result. See multiplayer tutorials for more general information about locality.
- The number returned is unlikely to be a whole number.
To return a whole number use either round, ceil or floor together with random:
x=floor(random 5) will return 0,1,2,3 or 4. (uniform distribution, all numbers have the same probability of being selected)
x=ceil(random 5) will return 0,1,2,3,4 or 5. (0 is very unlikely, but possible, as ceil 0 is 0)
- Posted on July 12, 2015 - 20:32 (UTC)
- Random selections including negative numbers can be obtained via: Failed to parse (PNG conversion failed; check for correct installation of latex and dvipng (or dvips + gs + convert)): _Xrnd = round(random 200) -100; This will yield numbers between -100 and 100.