Basic Controls and Mechanics
Here you can find all information about controls and basic functions you can encounter and use in many games, be it Exploration, Sandbox or user created content.
- Walking: W, S, A, D
- Jumping: Space
- Dive: L shift
- Going to the surface: Space
- Fly: There are two ways of flying in the game: with the Propeller Pack and with the Potion of Flight.
- Fly/stop flying: 2x Space
- Ascend: hold Space
- Descend: hold L Shift
The Character panel shows your character and its state. You can switch here between the Creator Cube, Inventory, Crafting, Blueprints, Costumes, and Pets by taping on the appropriate tab on the screen.
- Opens with TAB.
- Shows your available equipment and owned content.
- Use drag-and-drop to equip clothes, Costumes on the character, add your Pet.
- Tap on the eye icon to open the Inspect item window, where you can rotate an object and preview its available skins.
- Light attack - LMB
- Heavy attack - Hold LMB
- Parry - L ctrl
- Dodge - LShift
Note: When flying with a propeller pack, you can perform only a light attack. Other players won’t be able to parry your attack, but they can still dodge. You won’t be able to attack when using the Potion of Flight.
What happens in case you die depends on the rules of each specific scenario.
- After your death you will appear at your last spawn point on the bed you've placed and slept upon. You are also able to change your spawn point - just place another bed anywhere and sleep there. If the bed is destroyed, your spawn goes back to the beach spawn point.
- If you die in the Explore scenario your items will be dropped on the ground. So if you want your inventory / equipment back, you’ll have to get to the place where you died.
Chat and commands
You can talk to the ylanders by using in-game chat. Open chat by Enter.
There are 4 tabs:
- ALL: shows messages from 3 channels include console messages
- GAME: shows all messages from current game session
- WHISPER: shows all private messages
- CLAN: used for communication with your Clan.
Opening chat for the first time shows you hints with basic commands. Clicking on a questionmark icon in the top left corner shows or hides this hint. Or use /hint command.
- There are also several commands you can use in the game. To see the complete list of the available commands in the game, type /cmdlist in chat.
- Please bear in mind, that you can not send message to player, who is offline.
You can trade with other players and even with NPCs.
- Click on RMB to Trade with NPC or player.
- Other player may accept, cancel or ignore (this session) your trade offer.
- If the player accepts your offer, you will see each other’s items offered for trading.
- The prices are present only when you trade with and NPC.
- Select the items you want to sell and click on the Vote for trade button.
Note: Some items, such as the Protective Barrier, can’t be traded.
Ships have a special construction mode, which allows them to be modified. Placing a ship automatically engages this mode. Install a helm and a mast with sails or an engine (or both), otherwise you won’t be able to move. After construction is disengaged, all building blocks placed on the ship using a grid or in a free placing mode will merge with the ship.
- Release controls: RMB
- Sail forward: W
- Lower sails: S
- Sail back: hold S
- Unlock camera: L alt
The Compass in the top right shows the direction you’re moving, as well as nearby ylands.
In exploration, wild horses are not tamed and you can’t mount them. You can tame a horse, for example, by feeding it carrots or grass.
- Feeding horse: LMB
- Dismount: RMB
- Start autorun: *
- Run slower: S
- Run faster: 2x W
Note: You can summon your horse by Radial menu or F9. You can only summon named horse, if he is just friendly you can’t summon it. Once named, your horse can be renamed at any time by focusing the horse and selecting the option in the Radial menu.
You can sleep in the game to pass the time.
Just lie down on a bed or sleeping pad. Initiate sleeping by LMB and select a time to wake up. To start sleeping in multiplayer, someone has to initiate voting and all the players need to confirm it. Note: You can’t sleep outside in nasty weather or when you’re starving.
Building is one of the essential features in the game. You can build anything using different blocks and resources.
You can use predictive building to get help with placing blocks - indicated by a green outline. In free placing mode, objects are placed out of the grid and don’t harden. Deconstructing blocks is only possible with a hammer in your own (turned on) Protective Barrier.
Free placing mode:
- Toggle on and off by V
- Switch item variant: T, G
- Build range - Hold L Control + mouse wheel
- Pick item: RMB
- Reposition item: hold: RMB + forward: W, back: S, left: A, right: D. For repositioning up: Q and down: Z you don't need to hold RMB.
- Rotate item: hold RMB + J, F, R
- Place multiple blocks: hold LMB
The Crafting panel shows all the item recipes in the game, divided into categories.
- Opens with O button.
- If you do not have enough resources recipes are greyed out.
- The crafting formulas become known once you’ve had all the ingredients in your Inventory at some point (not necessarily at the same time).
- Some items require a specific workstation. Check out the Requirements slot in the Item window on the right.
- Recipes unlock gradually, from the simplest to the most complex, which require workstations.
- The Cogwheel icon shows that those items will be constructed in the world instead of being placed in the Inventory.
Terrain and Digging
Every piece of terrain in Ylands is modifiable (except the mobile version). Softer surfaces can be modified even by simply hitting them with your hand, but if you want to dig deep or into a dense material you will need a specific tool.
- Pick - basic digging, better for digging stone and such hard materials.
- Spade – makes rectangular holes.
- Shovel - flattening.
- Drill - makes big holes and leaves pieces of terrain.
- Terraformer - enlarge, remove, flatten, smooth or paint any type of terrain in various shapes.
Everything that you can put into your Hotbar and activate can be placed into the world.
- Place building blocks inside a grid. They become hardened after 2 minutes and cannot be picked up.
- To place other objects, activate the placing mode by pressing V from the Radial menu via the Radial menu via E. Anything you place in this mode can be freely picked, even the building blocks - they won’t harden and anyone can pick them up.
The Radial menu is used to execute quick actions.
- Open the Radial menu via the E key.
- Close via E or ESC.
- The menu is used for emotes, setup tools, toggling free placing mode, calling your horse, choosing a specific action with an item in the scene (pack / unpack, etc.), for summoning / unsummoning a pet, and equipping costumes.