Romolus – User talk

From Bohemia Interactive Community
Revision as of 20:08, 10 August 2006 by Romolus_bi_wiki (talk | contribs) (keep forgetting to add sig)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Hey Romolus, I really liked your summary regarding MP synchronization in the setVariable discussion. Would you perhaps be interested in turning that into a real article for the Wiki? If you're not familiar with the formatting or classification here, just put it into your sandbox, and I'll help you with the rest. Thanks --Kronzky 03:18, 6 August 2006 (CEST)

Sorry for the late answer, somehow the notification didn't work for this page.
The list for the setVariable command was quickly put together only to remind what mess MP scripting currently is and how it would benefit from having the suggested changes. In no way this was meant to be a complete or even properly researched list. I just wrote it down from what I remembered.
For writing an article about the topic, I would have to do some proper research and I don't know if I got the time for that right now.
Just a list or some short explanation without mentioning the various pitfalls and being exact on those wouldn't really help for such a topic as it's exactly those pitfalls and special cases that make or break a method for a certain situation.
But if someone would start a properly researched topic like that, I'ld be willing to contribute and do some further testing myself, as that's basically what my free time would allow right now. I just don't have the time to do it all alone and only putting up a rough framework for the sake of it isn't my idea of a quality contribution to a Wiki like this. --rom 14:26, 10 August 2006 (CEST)
Ahhh, that's too bad... You really seem to know your stuff and are capable of explaining it in a very clear and concise way (and that combination is pretty rare...)
But when considering whether to write an article here or not, keep in mind that this is a Wiki. ;) While it is important for the stuff that's posted to be right, it doesn't neccessarily have to be complete. Your summary would make a perfect Stub, for other people (or you, at a later time) to expand upon. That's how nearly all the content here is created. Somebody starts with just a few paragraphs, and then it will grow over time.
If we all waited until we have the time to write the perfect article, I doubt anything would ever appear here...;) But that's the advantage of a Wiki: mistakes will get corrected, and gaps will be filled (as long as there is something to start out with...) --Kronzky 19:00, 10 August 2006 (CEST)
Well, you're right about the Wiki, but I'm just not the person to post stubs, especially for MP scripting. Posting a stub would be like throwing a bone, while knowing where to get more without telling. And that's really not my way of doing things. If I had more time, then I'ld gladly post a full researched article about the topic, but I just don't have it. Currently I find it hard in general to contribute to the Wiki as there's not much of a way to see where a contribution is needed. I bet there are quite a few topics that could benefit from adding some details, but the whole Wiki is so huge that it's impossible to see where. And for just adding at random places or writing whole articles, my time is too limited. The other reason why I'm hesitating to write something especially about MP scripting is that ARMA seems to be quite close and I really, really hope that MP scripting gets some late additions that hopefully make all those ugly and incomplete workarounds unnecessary that are a real pain right now. Hence my comments on exactly that topic. MP scripting is one major part of creating high quality addons for OFP/ARMA, but right now it's the area that did get the least updates for ARMA. So by writing those comments I hoped to help getting some progress in that area for ARMA and therefor eliminating the need for workarounds alltogether. We got multiple turrents and tons of other nice stuff for ARMA, but MP scripting is still in the stone-age and allmost requires masochistic tendencies on behalf of the scripter to get things working well. So it's mainly time, but also the hope for ARMA that's keeping me from writing about that topic. --rom 20:08, 10 August 2006 (CEST)