Dedicated Server – Arma 3

From Bohemia Interactive Community
Revision as of 18:57, 22 July 2013 by Terox (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Arma 3 logo black.png

WORK IN PROGRESS

Introduction

The majority of directories and paths are customiseable, however those defined are all consistent with the tutorial instructions.
The majority of content has been extracted from this (--ANTI SPAM WONT LET ME ADD LINK-->>[ht tp://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147537-Tutorial-How-to-run-ArmA3-on-a-dedicated-server Tutorial thread], or threads linked from it

Installation

Requirements

1. Steam Account
  2. Ownership of Arma 3
  3. Supported Operating System
    • Windows: 2008 or later
    • Linux: (TBA)
  4. Minimum Hardware:
    • CPU:
    • RAM:
    • Disk

Instructions (Windows o/s)

The following instructions will guide you though setting up one Arma 3 server on 1 box, however they will also set the foundations for installing multiple servers on that same box

1. Login to the server as Administrator
  2. Install the latest version of Direct X (--ANTI SPAM WONT LET ME ADD LINK-->>[ht tp://www.microsoft.com/games/en-gb/aboutGFW/pages/directx.aspx DirectX]
  3. Create the following empty directories
    • D:\Apps\Steam
    • D:\Games\ArmA3\A3Master
    • D:\Games\ArmA3\A3Files
  4. Download (--ANTI SPAM WONT LET ME ADD LINK-->>[ht tp://www.microsoft.com/games/en-gb/aboutGFW/pages/directx.aspx steamcmd.exe] and save it to your targetted Steam install directory (E.g D:\Apps\Steam)
  5. Run the steamcmd.exe. (This will download and install the required steam files to your custom steam directory)
  6. Create an ArmA3_Steam_updater.cmd file, (Example shown below) and save it to D:\Games\ArmA3\A3Files
  7. Run the ArmA3_Steam_updater.cmd file
  8. Just after logging into Steam, the console window will hang and ask for a validation key
    • Steam will have automatically sent you an email with this validation code, which you then need to input at the command prompt
    • The Update console window should then continue to run and install ArmA3 ((DEV or STABLE) version to the target directory as defined in the .cmd file) eg (D:\Games\ArmA3\A3Master)
  9. Create a shortcut for the ArmA3Server.exe on the server desktop
  10. Add the following parameters to the Target Line in the shortcut tab of the newly created desktop shortcut
    • -port=2302 (Required if running multiple server instances including any previous ArmA2 instances)
    • "-profiles=d:\Games\Arma3\A3Master"
    • -config=CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg
    • -world=empty
      • so it looks something similar to the following
      • "D:\Games\Arma3\A3Master\arma3server.exe" "-profiles=d:\Games\Arma3\A3Master" -port=2302 -config=CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg -world=empty
  11. Add firewall rules for the UDP ports
  12. Create a simple Notepad document called "CONFIG_vanilla.cfg" and save it to the root folder of your ArmA3 install on the server D:\Games\ArmA3\A3Master (See below for ".cfg" content)
  13. Start up your shortcut, check the server runs. (You will see a console pop up in your desktop after a few seconds)
  14. Close the console window down, then you will need to edit the following files which will have been automatically created
    • D:\Games\Arma3\A3Master\Users\Adminstrator\Administrator.Arma3Profile
    • D:\Games\Arma3\A3Master\Users\Administrator\Arma3.cfg
  15. Restart the server
  16. Start up your client Arma3.exe (Running the same branch as the server, (eg Stable or DEV) and you should then be able to see your server in the server browser (Filters are available to reduce the server list)
  17. Login to your server using the password you defined in CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg by typing "/" to open the chat window and then type (#login ADMINPASSWORD) followed by enter
  18. Once logged in you will be presented with a mission list, select one of the missions to start the game
  19. Prove the stability of your server by running BIS missions initially before you start adding user made content

WORK IN PROGRESS

Instructions (Linux o/s)

TBA

Additional Info

Useful Links

Further Reading

• (--ANTI SPAM WONT LET ME ADD LINK-->>[ht tps://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD Steam Cmd Tutorial]
  • (--ANTI SPAM WONT LET ME ADD LINK-->>[ht tp://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?148288-Dedicated-server-status Dedicated Server Status (Linux info)]
  • (--ANTI SPAM WONT LET ME ADD LINK-->>[ht tp://www.kellys-heroes.eu/files/tutorials/dedicated/arma3dedicated.php#one Kelly's Heroes Dedicated server guide]
  • (--ANTI SPAM WONT LET ME ADD LINK-->>[ht tp://community.bistudio.com/wiki/In_Game_Server_Commands In Game server commands]
  • (--ANTI SPAM WONT LET ME ADD LINK-->>[ht tp://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Multiplayer_Server_Commands In Game admin commands]
  • (--ANTI SPAM WONT LET ME ADD LINK-->>[ht tp://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma2:_Startup_Parameters Command line params]
  • (--ANTI SPAM WONT LET ME ADD LINK-->>[ht tp://community.bistudio.com/wiki/basic.cfg Basic.cfg]
  • (--ANTI SPAM WONT LET ME ADD LINK-->>[ht tp://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.armaprofile Steam Difficulty settings]
  • (--ANTI SPAM WONT LET ME ADD LINK-->>[ht tp://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Server_configuration Server Configuration]
  • (--ANTI SPAM WONT LET ME ADD LINK-->>[ht tps://code.google.com/p/symlinker/ Sim-link GUI]

Tools

• (--ANTI SPAM WONT LET ME ADD LINK-->>[ht tp://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?155881-Arma-Server-Monitor-(very-small-but-useful) Arma3 Server Monitor]
  • (--ANTI SPAM WONT LET ME ADD LINK-->>[ht tp://www.firedaemon.com/ Firedeamon]
  • (--ANTI SPAM WONT LET ME ADD LINK-->>[ht tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37ifEKAZqlM&feature ArmA3 server using TA2DST Method]
    • A U-tube video tutorial by Kirkwood364 which uses Tophe's Arma 2 Dedicated Server Tool to administer and run an A3 server
    • (Links for all the files required are available in the 1st comment of his Utube video)

Useful Addons

• (--ANTI SPAM WONT LET ME ADD LINK-->>[ht tp://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?152393-zeu_ServerSkill-(Serverside-AI-skill-setting-addon-with-userconfig-configuration) Zeu_Serverskills] (AI Skill setting addon)
  • (--ANTI SPAM WONT LET ME ADD LINK-->>[ht tp://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149882-zeu_A3ServerBriefing-(-A-Serverside-addon) Zeu_ServerBriefing] (Inject server information to all missions automatically

File Locations

Some files are automatically created when you use certain commandline parameters Some files have to be created manually. If you have followed the instructions accurately, you will now have the following files and directories in addition to the clean install

• d:\Games\Arma3\A3Master\ Users\Administrator\Administrator.Arma3Profile (Difficulty settings)
  • d:\Games\Arma3\A3Master\ Users\Administrator\Administrator.vars.Arma3Profile (Some binarised content which you cannot edit)
  • d:\Games\Arma3\A3Master\ Users\Administrator\Arma3.cfg (Bandwidth settings)
  • d:\Games\Arma3\A3Master\ MPMissions\ This is where custom made mission.pbo's need to be placed)
  • d:\Games\Arma3\A3Master\ arma3.rpt (Debug Log, automatically created every time the arma3server.exe is started)
  • d:\Games\Arma3\A3Master\ CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg (Manually created)
  • d:\Games\ArmA3\A3Files\ ArmA3_Steam_updater.cmd (Manually created)
  • d:\Apps\Steam\

Port Forwarding

Arma 3 uses the same default ports as Arma 2 with the addition of 2 steam ports. So if you intend running A2 and A3 servers on the same machine, you need to edit the ports used Default ports are all UDP and as follows

• 2302 (Arma3 Game port)
  • 2303 (Server reporting)
  • 2305 (Von)
  • 8766 (Steam port)
  • 27016 (Steam query port)

To define the ArmA3 Game port used, state -port= **** in your command line arguments (Where *** is the new initial Arma 3 Game eg 2302)

and to define your Steam ports add the following lines to your CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg (editing the actual port numbers as required)

// STEAM
steamport=8766;
steamqueryport=27016;

If you are running multiple servers, i would suggest the following format

SERVER 1
2300 UDP (steamport)
2301 UDP (Steam query port)
2302 UDP (used for game)
2303 UDP (used for server reporting)
2304 UDP (? no information available for this port useage)
2305 UDP (used for VoN transmissions)
so open ports 2300-2305
and leave at least 10 ports between the next server set

SERVER 2
2320 UDP (steamport)
2321 UDP (Steam query port)
2322 UDP (used for game)
2323 UDP (used for server reporting)
2324 UDP (? no information available for this port useage)
2325 UDP (used for VoN transmissions)
so open ports 2320-2325
leave at least 10 ports then repeat the process for No3 server etc

Configuring for stable or Dev branch

Edit the ArmA3_Steam_Updater.cmd and run it

To select Development version

SET A3BRANCH=107410 -beta development

To roll back to stable build

SET A3BRANCH=107410 -beta

Important Feature since 12th March 2013 the development branch and the stable branch versions are no longer compatible. this means: Only DEV clients can connect to a DEV server Only Stable clients can connect to stable servers

Advanced Configuration

Bandwidth Optimisation

Multiple Server configuration

Dedicated Server & Client configuration

Headless Client

Example Files

Support & Troubleshooting

Known Issues

Live Help

F.A.Q