Arma 3 Tasks Overhaul
Tasks Overhaul is name for project targeting UX and visual improvements to Arma 3 task framework. The 1st batch of updates was released to development branch on March 2016.
- update visuals of task markers in both 3D environment and in map
- improve diary panels UX and visuals
- improve map & task interaction - direct task assignment/unassignment from map
- allow simultaneous display of multiple tasks in 3D environment
- implement 'Shared Objectives' through new generic feature called Custom Data
- Tasks Overhaul system is currently available in the development branch and it is still in development.
- Engine implantation is almost done, although some aspects and behavior details can change depending on feedback.
- The core of the data part is done, but there will definitely be changes and tweaks based on internal and external feedback as well as internal tests.
- Changes to the data part will most likely be visual - color, transparency, scaling, positioning.
- One of the most noticeable changes will be implementation of the new icon set for task types.
- Currently all task types use default icon, proper icon set is in production.
- Expect task types and icons to iterate rapidly.
Bellow you will find brief feature breakdown, that should present you all the core features of Tasks Overhaul.
There is a new attribute - task type. The attribute describes the raw nature of the task and replaces the task label that was visualized on the task marker. Task type is visualized through the icon and unlike the task label, it is fully implemented to the game UI (3D marker, map marker, task list, task index diary panel, task notification, debriefing screen, ...).
Task's 3D marker was completely redesigned. It now consists from 3 elements:
- background - texture with distinctive shape to visually define the element as task marker
- task type icon - texture of task type icon defining nature of the task; replaces the former task label
- distance indicator - standardized info about task distance
Task overview is a new display that shows all tasks available to player in 3D environment. It is triggered by new action 'Tasks Overview'. Action can be found in 'Common' section and uses the keybind that was previously used by 'Diary' action.
- on keydown - all task markers and navigation elements show up and a special widget with assigned task type and name pops-up in the top-left corner
- on keyup - 3 secs timer starts to tick, when it is over the task markers, navigation elements and assigned task widget fade out
Assigned task widget The 'Task Overview' action also shows a small widget (currently in top-left corner). The functionality of the widget is currently limited, it shows task type icon and task name. The future plans are to extend the feature by adding task's short description (if provided) or first few lines of the description text (if short description is not provided). Custom data info (like are assigned players provided by Shared Objectives) could also be added.
Map markers and tooltip widgets
Task index and description panels