Locality in Multiplayer – Talk

From Bohemia Interactive Community
Revision as of 17:56, 10 August 2006 by Romolus_bi_wiki (talk | contribs) (suggestion about locality icons)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Should we add here a list of commands and there locality or should we do that in the list of all scripting commands? --T_D 19:33, 21 July 2006 (CEST)

I would say both. It's good to have a placeholder with all the commands with specific locality behaviour, isn't it? Whisper 23:46, 21 July 2006 (CEST)

I have removed following rule

- AI units in a vehicle under player's command are local to player's PC.

The rule is simply not true. AI units are always local where their leader is local. (This is necessary for them to communicate properly)

--Suma 19:56, 21 July 2006 (CEST)

Could someone create a table for global and local commands? I dont know how to do it. --T_D 00:39, 22 July 2006 (CEST)

I wouldn't list it in a table, but rather create a template and write the locality into the entry of each command itself. --hardrock 13:38, 24 July 2006 (CEST)
see Whisper's comment above ;) --T_D 14:06, 24 July 2006 (CEST)
A table or simply a list of exceptions? Adding comment in a table is not easy, and often, cases are rather dodgy. moveInXXX need their unit argument to be local, setFog has its effects local, specific eventHandlers (hit, killed) are only triggered where unit is local, etc... this needs explanations. Is it feasible in table?
After thinking about it, perhaps only a list links to the commands that have specific locality behavior in their description.Whisper 14:26, 24 July 2006 (CEST)
I have a complete list with the different locality behaviours of all commands. These exceptions apply for almost any command, so I really think it should be better to have a section "Multiplayer Behaviour" for each specific command. --hardrock 14:34, 24 July 2006 (CEST)
I agree with that -> table deleted --T_D 14:39, 24 July 2006 (CEST)
Good decision. Me or hardrock can hand out this list to anyone who wants to add the locality notes to the scripting command pages, or you can check hardrock's beta Script Ref --raedor 00:18, 25 July 2006 (CEST)

With the current icons I find it a bit confusing to see what the command really does. Take the flyinHeight command for example. The icons suggest that this command needs to be applied to a local object and its effects aren't broadcated across the net in MP. Technicall that's probably correct since the flyinHeight command itself isn't broadcasted, but the effect of the unit flying at a different height is reflected on every machine on the net in MP. What someone wants to know when he's looking for locality of a command is:

• Do I need to apply it where the unit is local to have it do anything at all, or not?
  • Are the results of the command reflected on all machines in MP, or not?

Everything else is just technical detail and doesn't really help when looking up a command for MP scripting. So instead of focusing on the technical details of whether a command is broadcasted or not, I would focus on the effects it has in MP. I think that this would be more consistent to what a user might look for when looking for the locality of a command and avoid confusion about how to actually read and interpret the icons. --rom 17:56, 10 August 2006 (CEST)