PBO File Format – Talk

From Bohemia Interactive Community
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Addons in Folders = possible)
Line 26: Line 26:

--[[User:Lupus|Lupus[WD]]] 02:41, 19 July 2006 (CEST)
--[[User:Lupus|Lupus[WD]]] 02:41, 19 July 2006 (CEST)
:: Hi lupus, Please send me a small example addon of what you are saying here (mikero@norfolk.nf) so that i don't mis-interpret you. We can work on your article together. What you are saying needs a link, (a separate page) to the main text of this article.
--[[User:Mikero|ook?]] 00:40, 20 July 2006 (CEST)

Revision as of 00:40, 20 July 2006

Just in case it has been overlooked, the links in the Bibliography at the end of this document are no longer valid at this time.

Planck 12:29, 13 July 2006 (CEST)

Binary

I removed binary = executable sentence, because it was confusing. Binary does not necessarily mean executable.

Moreover, I itend to move the whole discussion about binary config into the config.bin page.

--Suma 23:12, 18 July 2006 (CEST) Insert non-formatted text here

Addons in Folders = possible

I've used addons in folders since years, here's how i proceed : The folder must be (as far as i know) in Operation Flashpoint main directory, by convention i'll refer to it as 'MyAddon\', referring to the addon as 'MyAddon' and to the pbo file as 'MyAddon.pbo'

Only the pbo's with a config will need something more. That is, the config in 'MyAddon\' will not be aknowledged by the engine. Either the class definitions are in the main config ('bin/config') in the case of a total conversion mod for instance, or in another pbo (most often times the 'MyAddon.pbo') located in a '[mod\]addons\' folder as any other regular addon. In the case of a text config in 'MyAddon.pbo', usually config.CPP, this config may only contain an #include line linking to 'MyAddon\textfile.hpp' for instance (where textfile.hpp is actually in 'MyAddon\' and has the exact content the regular config would have) or series of #include lines. There's some side effects though as the content of 'MyAddon\' as if it were in a pbo in 'OFP\Addons\' as opposed to in a mod's 'Addons\' folder. Which means it could conflict with a different version of 'MyAddon.pbo' in a mod. Nevertheless, if one keeps track of what he's got in his OFP's main directory and cleans it up after they've finished beta testing, it's really something that eases the process of creating, modifying and testing an addon a lot.

I am not too comfortable with my level of literary english and pedagogy to edit an entire article, but i thought it was worth being mentioned in the discussion about "Pbo File Format", in case someone wants to amend the introduction and write or help me in writing the article.

--Lupus[WD] 02:41, 19 July 2006 (CEST)

Hi lupus, Please send me a small example addon of what you are saying here (mikero@norfolk.nf) so that i don't mis-interpret you. We can work on your article together. What you are saying needs a link, (a separate page) to the main text of this article.

--ook? 00:40, 20 July 2006 (CEST)