knowsAbout

From Bohemia Interactive Community
Revision as of 17:38, 15 April 2006 by Planck (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

back to COMREF

unit knowsAbout target

Operand types:

unit: Object or Group

target: Object

Type of returned value:

Number

Description:

Check if (and by how much) unit knows about target.

If unit is vehicle, vehicle commander is considered.

Example:

_kv = soldierOne knowsAbout jeepOne

Comments:

Some background info on this command for all you AI scripting nuts out there:

With Resistance (1.91):

No matter what class of unit the target is and no matter what the skill/class of the enemy AI, the magic 'knowsAbout' number is 0.105.

With CWC (1.46):

No matter what class of unit the target is and no matter what the skill/class of the enemy AI, the magic 'knowsAbout' number is 0.7.

What this means is, the AI will not fire on an enemy soldier until his 'knowsAbout' level of that enemy has reached the 'magic number' or higher.

This suggests that the knowsabout level must reach the magic threshold before a unit knows if another unit is an enemy or a friendly unit.

Triggers and knowsabout level:

"Detected by xxx" triggers also follow the above rules.

For a detected trigger to be set off, the knowsAbout level must reach the magic number.

Also...

As soon as An AI unit gets hit with a bullet his knowsAbout level for the unit that shot him will instantly jump to 1.5, even if the shooter is 1000m away.

Vice versa is also true.

If An AI soldier's knowsAbout level for an enemy is 0.7 and the soldier fires and hits the enemy, his knowsAbout level about the enemy will instantly jump to 1.5.

This seems like some sort of AI tweak BIS implemented.

I have experimented with this command a little, and the truth is I'm fairly disapointed in it.

Basically, this is what I've found:

A target must be in front of the unit for him to be noticed, so if you sprint right behind an enemy, this value doesn't increase.

It takes a couple of seconds for a unit to notice a target, even if he is in plain sight and right in front of him.

So if you run right past a unit, this value might not increase.

Bushes between the unit and the target seem to have little effect on this value, and trees definately have no affect.

You may be in a forest, and can't see the unit, but he can see you.

Once the target goes out of sight of the unit, his knowsAbout value doesn't instantly go back down.

Rather, it slowly decreases, taking maybe a couple of minutes to go from 4 to 0.

So if a unit spots you, and you then teleport yourself to the other side of the island, his knowsAbout value on you could still be 3 or higher.

I don't have all the answers on this, and I haven't really done extensive research on this command.

But to me, this command seems to fall short of what I wish it could be.

Please post comments on your findings with this command, and if anything I said was wrong.