From Bohemia Interactive Community
DayZ is all about discovering what's possible, so don't expect this to be a walk-through or survival guide, you can read this without ruining the game experience for yourself.
9 Survival Tips for New DayZ Players
- Use a microphone, and use it often. Speak to people, you will not regret it. Mostly.
- This country, Chernarus, is situated in Eastern Europe, you will find city names and other signs in Cyrillic letters. If you want to know where you are, you better start learning them.
- DayZ does not offer a mini-map, as navigation and discovery is an essential part of the game. You are able to find static and portable tourist maps in-game that will help you, as well as compasses. Experts may find other means to navigate in the sky.
- After starting the game, you will quickly discover that your character is running low on water. Players and infected might be a major threat, but if you ignore your own characters needs for too long, you will find yourself at the bottom end of the food chain pretty quickly. Your energy and body temperature are among the other values that you should constantly keep an eye on.
- It can be tempting to stay close to the coast in an attempt to avoid the dangers of the inland. But don't forget that you are not the only survivor washed ashore, so the coastal areas are often picked clean by by-passers. Better prepare yourself to move inland as well.
- Yes, we have crafting as well. However, we don't want our players to spend 50 percent of the game in the inventory. That's why all crafting combinations are connected to the hands, meaning you need always to have one item to combine in your hands, and add the other item from the open world or your inventory. There are several hotkey slots available to help you avoid long inventory searches in critical situations.
- Your character is fragile. A bullet to the head or other vital organs can be your end at any time and you won't even hear it coming. Cherish your character and be careful, when to pick your fights.
- Other survivors can be your friends or enemies. They might even start out as one and end up becoming the other. Fact is, avoiding player contact might appear to be safe, but what would life be without company?
- But what about the loot? Look carefully. Valuables are not only stacked in buildings, but the infected are also carrying items with them, and nature can be its very own source of food. Stay aware of your surroundings and prepare yourself accordingly, you never know where you will find the next bunch of supplies, once you leave town.