An identifier is a name given to a variable that the scripter can choose: It is the name that identifies the variable.
Binding rules for identifiers:
- Identifiers may consist of any ASCII text characters (a-z, A-Z), numbers (0-9) and underscores (_)
- Identifiers must not start with a number (e.g "9myVariable" is invaild)
- Identifiers of user-defined local variables must start with an underscore
- Identifiers are case-insensitive.
- Identifiers cannot be the same with reserved words (e.g commands and functions).
A less encountered naming format is separating all sub-words with underscores:
_my_variable_name = 5;