Arma 3: Getting Started
Buying Arma 3
- Bohemia Interactive Store page – using it will bring a bigger share of the sale to Bohemia Interactive
- Steam page
Arma 3 has some Editions and bundles to purchase. Bundles are always rather cheaper than purchase products separately.
- Arma 3 Apex Edition (BI Store/Steam) has the base game, 3 DLCs and the "crown jewel", Arma 3 Apex. This is slightly cheaper than buying Arma 3 and Arma 3 Apex separately.
- Arma 3 Contact Edition (BI Store/Steam) has the base game and “spin-off” expansion Arma 3 Contact.
- Arma 3 Ultimate Edition (BI Store/Steam) has the base game and every DLCs and expansions by Bohemia Interactive.
You may wonder if you need to buy DLCs. You do not need anything to enjoy playing Arma 3 (but the base game), but depending on which experience you are after the common recommendations change:
- For a Singleplayer experience, the base campaign, Arma 3 Laws of War and in an other style Arma 3 Contact singleplayer campaigns are considered among the best singleplayer moments. If you can afford it too, see also the Arma 3 Tac-Ops Mission Pack for a combat experience from multiple points of view.
- For a Multiplayer experience, it is recommended to at least own Arma 3 Apex to be able to play with its assets and have access to the Tanoa terrain. The cooperation campaign is good to play through too.
- Every asset such as weapons and vehicles provided by Bohemia Interactive are free to test in Arsenal (LEARN > VIRTUAL ARSENAL). If you wonder if the DLC is worth your money, it is possible to try it for free.
- You can purchase Arma 3 DLC Essentials to collect the entire DLC sets (except the Expansions, Arma 3 Apex and Arma 3 Contact).
Starting with the game
You bought the game, downloaded it, installed it, configured it via the launcher, started it: now what?
If you are not familiar with the Arma series, a usual recommendation is to access the main menu and select Tutorial, you can find choices such as:
- Read the Game Manual
- Head on the Game Options and change key bindings, languages and difficulty
- Read the in-game Field Manual (from Tutorial → Field Manual)
- Watch Community Guide videos (Steam / YouTube)
- Read and watch Dslyecxi's Tactical Guides (direct link to TTP3)
Playing in Single Player
- Play the VR Training missions to understand the principles
- Play the Showcases to apply these principles in real action
- Play the Bootcamp campaign
- Practice weapons and vehicles in the Virtual Arsenal
- Discover the available Terrains in Eden Editor
- Play the Single Player campaign "The East Wind" to learn to work in a team
- Play the other Single Player content, according to your DLC list:
Playing in Multiplayer
- If you own Arma 3 Apex, play its Multiplayer campaign "Apex Protocol" with experienced friends
- Hours of practice will help you:
- Find the kind of game you like, among the various Multiplayer game types
- Getting different experiences no training can bring (situational awareness, reflexes, specific cases)
- If possible, try to play on multiple servers with friends or an Arma 3 Unit!
Finding players, communities and help
Official communication channels
- Arma 3 Official Forum
- Arma 3 Official Discord
- Inline code channel if you are looking for players
- Inline code channel if you are looking for squads
- Inline code channel if you are looking for communities
- Inline code channel for… Single Player content advices and discussion
- Inline code channel for help in scripting, as well as Arma 3 Scripting Commands
- Inline code channel where discussions about articles on this wiki happen
- And for all your other questions, Inline code is the channel to be!