Identifier

From Bohemia Interactive Community
Revision as of 16:51, 30 December 2020 by R3vo (talk | contribs) (fixed: floating table was floating too far)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The printable version is no longer supported and may have rendering errors. Please update your browser bookmarks and please use the default browser print function instead.

An Identifier is the name given to a variable that the scripter can choose: It is the name that identifies the variable.

Rules

Valid Invalid
  • variable1
  • _my_local_variable
  • _1variable
  • _player
  • 1variable
  • _my#localVar
  • _guy1&2var
  • player

Binding rules for identifiers:

• Identifiers may consist of any ASCII text characters (a-z, A-Z), numbers (0-9) and underscores (_).
  • Identifiers must not start with a number (e.g "9myVariable" is invalid).
  • Identifiers of local variables must start with an underscore.
  • Identifiers are case-insensitive.
  • Identifiers cannot be the same as reserved words (e.g commands and functions).

Recommendations

It is recommended to write local variable identifiers in camel case syntax. This makes identifiers more readable: private _myVariableName = 5;

It is also recommended to prefix global variable identifiers with your tag in order to avoid any potential conflict between addons, scripts and missions: // Tag_identifier UNIQUETAG_player = player;

A less encountered naming format is separating all sub-words with underscores: _my_variable_name = 5;

See also