ArmA: Bugs List-version-1.01.5094 – Talk

From Bohemia Interactive Community
Jump to navigation Jump to search

What's a bug?

Somebody had asked a while ago, what exactly constitutes a bug - that's how this discussion below got started. Even though that original post has now been removed, the follow-up discussion might still be a good reference to have for the future, though.

Just because something is different in the game from how it is in reality doesn't make it a bug.
As it says in the quoted Wikipedia article: "A software bug is an error, flaw, mistake, failure, or fault in a computer program that prevents it from behaving as intended (e.g., producing an incorrect result)."
So - if the developers intended for pigs to fly in the game, it is quite irrelevant whether they do so in real life. It's still not a bug... ;) --Kronzky 00:27, 8 December 2006 (CET)

I know, all the more reason it shouldn't be in the bug list. Unfortunately, going through the list I see a lot of questionable bugs, some obviously not, and are rather non-features or even possible wishes. I think someone should go through the list and determine which ones qualify as bugs and which do not. It might also be good to use that oppertunity to find reports that aren't as useful as they could be, as some seem to contain little useful information (and aren't following the exemplified format). --Big Dawg KS 22:14, 8 December 2006 (CET)

Items Removed

Should we really keep this list?
After all, we're getting *lots* of inappropriate and useless bug reports (and it'll probably become even more in the future). We shouldn't have to file a "justification" or log for every removal of them. (Or, at least, have a dedicated page for removed bug reports, rather than cluttering this one.) --Kronzky 17:24, 13 December 2006 (CET)

I moved these topics here for deletion as they are pretty useless descriptions of bugs and are not signed but the editor. There fore we can't ask for clarification.hoz 00:34, 6 December 2006 (CET)

• Accuracy on all weapons is way off. [1.01.5094]
    • What Weapons?
  • Some Weapons have no recoil. [1.01.5094]
    • What weapons?

- Isn't the accuracy related to the server.cfg and settings? "precisionFriendly=0.750000". So it would have to be seen if the accuracy is different if this is set to 1. Then it is no bug, is it. --SniperAndy

More questionable entries:

• "we lost our primary gun when we swim about 30sec"
    • This is not a bug, it appears to be intentional (for realism purposes).
  • "when you shoot a AI (near 1 meter) with the M256 of M1A1, he doesn't died."
    • Using a sabot? If so, not a bug, sabots shouldn't have any splash damage.
  • "Possibility to turn off the integrated communication system that allows you to hear other players [1.01.5094]"
    • Is this a bug or a wish? --Big Dawg KS 23:38, 7 December 2006 (CET)
      • Its a wish. I haven't had time to go through the list much today. Hopefully tonite. hoz 22:11, 8 December 2006 (CET)
Ok, I'll move it to the wish list if you don't mind. --Big Dawg KS 22:25, 8 December 2006 (CET)
  • Under General: "Can't climb on the little rock or put an ai on(in the editor)...the AI is inside!" - What rock and how about setops the unit? --SniperAndy

• Game did not start after install. tried the patch but got the same error message : "data file too short 'addons/weapons.pbo'." [1.01.5094]
    • This is more of an install problem. hoz
  • AI can't recognize any terrain in the city except the streets. The soldiers always walk around big places and don't use any stairs or so...

(wrong^^ / already seen AI´s using stairs and walking around upper levels twice) [1.01.5094] burns 19:44, 8 December 2006 (CET)

• One cannot step over bodies laying on the ground (dead or alive) [1.00.5087]
    • Really a bug? Don't think so.
    • When I swim in the water weapon in hand, when I reach the shore all my equipment is lost. MrFreezeFR 14:01, 7 December 2006 (CET) [1.00.5087]

(loosing weapons in water isn´t a bug but a feature) burns 19:28, 8 December 2006 (CET)

• As a seagull you cannot view the mission's notepad when looking at the map. [1.01.5094] --Kronzky 19:24, 5 December 2006 (CET)
    • Its also like this in Elite, I think its by design.hoz
      • ..besides, seagulls have been known to keep all mission details in their heads, as opposed to having notepads and whatnot.. ;o) --teaCup 22:35, 10 December 2006 (CET)
  • Getting stuck on bigger rocks [1.01.5094] burns 15:34, 5 December 2006 (CET)
    • Useless without picture/location.
  • we can't climb ladders into church
    • What church? What location?hoz
  • we lost our primary gun when we swim about 30sec.
    • Non bug as designed. hoz
  • When firing the west M249 MG in multiplayer and getting ammo from truck via the quick-ammo icon, your MG gets filled up with 4*30 rounds stanach magazines. [1.1.0.5094]
    • Not necessarily a bug as M249 can fire M16 Mags in real life.
  • .50 cal Bullets ricochet off Water [1.01.5094] burns 11:06, 6 December 2006 (CET)
    • I don't think that this is a bug. I have seen 7,62 x 51 mm bullets ricochet on water in Real Life (The time I was in the Army). --- [KSK-D]Arbaal 22:24, 6 December 2006
      • Indeed bullets can ricochet off of water. hoz
  • Weird LOD choices reported sometimes [1.00.5087]
  • Generaly more realistic sound all the weapons. Now there sound like toy-guns. Dec 10. 11:52
    • Moved to the wish list. --Big Dawg KS 22:35, 11 December 2006 (CET)
  • Rearming when you have an empty M249 at a crate using the 'rearm' action will load the M249 with M16 magazines and it is still fireable [1.00.5087]
  • Above Post: M249 is capable of firing M16 magazines in real life [1.00.5087]
  • Can't climb on the little rock or put an AI on(in the editor)...the AI is inside!
    • Use setpos height, objects frown on being placed on top of one another.hoz
  • AI should drive on the right side of a street. Too much crashes on two-way traffic. PhunkMaZ 14:05, 13. December 2006 (CET)
    • AIs are sometimes moving down the middle of the road, even at crossroads, in situations when they know that enemies are on the other side. They are getting killed as a result.
      • Even if their behavior is safe mode?I've seen this work ok if the unit behavior is 'safe' hoz
  • Using 'Reverse Y Axis' (for mouse) control option in order to fly a chopper, when you switch back to being infantry, it also reverses it's Y Axis too. [1.00.5087]
As a workaround you can swap action assignment for the Helicopter up/down actions instead. --Suma 15:57, 13 December 2006 (CET)
  • with the keyboard: when we are crouch, it's impossible to advance slowly forward and left in the same time. REPLY - try doing that in real life, it's almost impossible there too.
  • Generally low FPS in German version. [1.00.5087] Fixed [1.01.5094] --Johnnie walkerz 03:13, 5 December 2006 (CET)
  • Loading of textures is slow [1.00.5087]
    • Useless without machine specs, image, etc. hoz
  • Invisible Glass on side edge of buildings. Makes AI invulnerable and you a hittable target. [1.01.5094]
    • Location? Building type? Images would be helpful. hoz
  • Vehicles do not smoke or burn before looking burned. [1.01.5094]
    • Which vehicles? hoz

Marking Important/Critical Bugs

What about marking the most important or critical bugs, so that BI know what they can start to fix with. Otherwise I think they will get a collapse when they look at these huge list and this could prevent them from doing some suicide attempts --T_D 15:32, 10 December 2006 (CET)

I don't think this is feasible. I'm sure BI is prioritizing the bugs. I think we will wipe the list clean after the next patch and start fresh and moderate the list a little better. If the bug was important then it will be reported perhaps in better detail. hoz
Yes, we prioritize bugs for our own purpose, Still, it would be quite helpful for us to know what are bug priorities as perceived by the community. However, if this is to be helpful, community would need to be able to agree on a very small number of high-priority problems. If anyone can mark anything as important, I suppose very soon most reported problems would be marked as important. --Suma 14:59, 11 December 2006 (CET)

Bug tracking system?

Tidied up page. If your about to edit this section read the history, and check Placebo's comments. hoz

Signatures

Why should the bug reports be signed? It seems to make no sense, it just makes the list even harder to read. Noone will really contact anyone about any bug submitted here anyway. :) --Salisan 15:14, 15 December 2006 (CET)

Because when someone submits an ambiguous report, I or others can contact them for more information. use just 3 ~ to prevent the date from showing which looks a bit better. Edit: if someone is going to submit a bug like "Some vehicles don't burn" they went to the trouble to add a bug with no detail and they can't sign it, the bug will be removed so that more detailed bugs are front and center for the devs. Also I've contact several people, letting them know that what they are asking was indeed the way it was intended See this as an example Talk Terp. hoz
Ok, the 3~ thing is better. I guess you just have way more patience than me with crappy reports. :) Salisan